Where did u grow up hunting? What did u like about the certain area? My first hunts were in 27 turkey and deer hunting, but i did not hunt on all of them. i like it because of all the animals i saw taken and the memories of my first hunts.

I was born & raised in Kearny! Son of a copper miner.... ;)

I grew-up hunting quail & mule deer in 37B & 24A. Those were the days.... Seemed like there was plenty of both to be found in either of those units then. Also an occasional trip to Florence Junction / Queen Valley for some dove hunting!

I still try to get up to the copper basin area for a bird hunting trip when possible, but my deer hunting time is spent elswhere.

Good topic!

S.

:)

24A is where I grew up hunting. What I enjoyed about this area is the terrain. You can be in desert one minute and forest in 10 minutes. The wildlife is plentiful around 24A you just have to know where to look.

I still live and hunt here.

Clay

After college, I moved to a ranch in South Texas where I first started hunting. Hunted dove, deer, coyotes, rabbits, skunk. Pretty much self-taught through lots of reading.

First deer, a trophy spike, was shot out of the pickup window with a Rem 788 in 243 from about 10 yards, as it fed on some corn.

I grew up in Ohio. Hunted corn feed whitetail, rabbit, and lots of squirrel.

We also had plenty of wildlife :rolleyes:

Now I'm here in the desert, finding that I have to REALLY hunt for the animals. :lol:

I wouldn't trade the desert for that friggin snow again, thats for sure.

Grew up hunting Mulies in 18B--killed my first in 1973 and have been going ever since. Dad had me walking with him hanging on to his pocket when i was barley big enough to walk--those are some great memories and i really wish i could start all over--not going to happen though--so sad.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on a ranch, smack dab in the middle of 6A and 6B. I think I got my first .22 when I was 7, in a matter of months you had to head at least 2 miles away from the ranch to find a rabbit or tweety bird. In the fall when my Dad was done with roundup and had everything situated he would (and still does occasionally) guide for Jarred Nichols and whoever else we knew that had an elk tag. Some of my best memories are tagging along on hunts with dad. His deal was that as long as I had good grades in school I could go hunting and we faithfully kept our parts.

I killed my first buck a 5X4 carp in unit 10 on a jrs. only hunt when I was 10. I don't recall the amount used but I do know ammo stocks soared after that hunt.

I killed my first bull elk in 6A when I was 12. He scored 353 and took two days to pack out with horses. To this day you won't catch me without a flashlight and at least 16 extra batteries.

He ultimately got me hooked on whiteys in 6A as well. To this day I have yet to kill a buck in 6A. Although theres a handful that now can correctly identify what a .270 sounds like hitting within 3 feet in any direction of them. I finally killed my first whitey in 35A a few years ago and have been on fire in that unit ever since, my .270 (Black Death) has been as well. The last 3 times its been in the unit, it hasn't missed.

Thanks Skyhawk for starting this thread, its great to see where everyone got there start at.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on a ranch, smack dab in the middle of 6A and 6B. I think I got my first .22 when I was 7, in a matter of months you had to head at least 2 miles away from the ranch to find a rabbit or tweety bird. In the fall when my Dad was done with roundup and had everything situated he would (and still does occasionally) guide for Jarred Nichols and whoever else we knew that had an elk tag. Some of my best memories are tagging along on hunts with dad. His deal was that as long as I had good grades in school I could go hunting and we faithfully kept our parts.

I killed my first buck a 5X4 carp in unit 10 on a jrs. only hunt when I was 10. I don't recall the amount used but I do know ammo stocks soared after that hunt.

I killed my first bull elk in 6A when I was 12. He scored 353 and took two days to pack out with horses. To this day you won't catch me without a flashlight and at least 16 extra batteries.

He ultimately got me hooked on whiteys in 6A as well. To this day I have yet to kill a buck in 6A. Although theres a handful that now can correctly identify what a .270 sounds like hitting within 3 feet in any direction of them. I finally killed my first whitey in 35A a few years ago and have been on fire in that unit ever since, my .270 (Black Death) has been as well. The last 3 times its been in the unit, it hasn't missed.

Thanks Skyhawk for starting this thread, its great to see where everyone got there start at.

That is if you can get Black Death out of the truck in time!!! Know what I'm talking about right?

That is if you can get Black Death out of the truck in time!!! Know what I'm talking about right?

Yes I do. The next time were in such a situation and the tables are turned, I'll just stick my pistol out the side of the window and touch one off and see how fast you move as well. :lol:

My first succesful hunt was when I was 12. My dad, grandpa and I had a unit 1 late rifle bull tag (my first time ever putting in). On the 3rd day, we pulled over on the side of the road and glassed up a herd of elk on the tippy top of a mountain that we knew how to get to the base of it by truck.

Well, we get to the base of hill and take off. I match my dad step for step.. When he freezes, I freeze etc etc... We get to the last tree and survey the elk.. Oh man, theres a nice, tasty trophy spike standing there... This was way before we had a range finder, so we guess it 250-275 yards. I level my .308 on the spike and take my shot. I missed (go figure) and off he starts trotting... I jack another round in and I am on him.. I put it on his nose and squeezed. An elk dropped right there and never moved again! Well, Dad decides to tell me "Son, I think you may have shot a cow, I have a spike in my sights!"

Holy chit, talk about a good way to start my hunting career!! Anyways, long story short we thought there was only one spike in the group, but there ended up being two. We walk up to the bull and the shot caught him right under the jaw bone in the artierey.

Grew up in the Keystone state.

I remember being able to walk out the back door

and walking out into the woods opening morning

to get my big old corn feed whitetail.

Get him gutted and head back to the house where Mom

would have breakfast ready, change into lighter cloths

and go drag him home.

Moved out of home at 17 and got an apartment.

Had to supplement my my meager income with

Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, Cotton Tails and Squirrel.

A little trapping helped also.

I'm with J C,

don't miss all that snow ;)

For the record, Casey didn't shoot out the window. He had at least one foot out of Mclovin before he quickdrawed me!!!

I grew up in Tempe. We hunted deer and javelina in 24A near Kearney. Got my 1st deer at 14 and 1st pig at 13. We always hunted doves in Casa Grande/ Eloy area. That was 30 years ago.

I grew up in Sedona before it became a vortex :( . My family hunted deer in unit 9 every year for two weeks in the 70's and 80's. I remember when an elk sighting in 9 was very rare. I shot my first buck up there, a 28" cactus buck. My dad shot more deer up there than you could emagine. Three of those bucks would make strip hunters drool. I shot my first elk in 6a when I was 16. Went about 320. First whitetail was in 22 with a bow, a little two point. Shot four gobblers in four trips in 13a Hunting with my uncle Russ. My grampa took me quail hunting and fishing since I can remember. Great times ;)