• All of the above
  2. 2. Other worries while in the woods/desert

• Getting lost
    • Getting hurt
    • Other people
    • The dark
    • Dehydration
    • Flash flood

Even though I have not seen many lions, I have good premonition. When the hair on the back of my neck starts to tingle, I start looking around carefully. The one encounter I had with a lion happened that way :(

Critters dont bother me much so I'd have to pick snakes and getting hurt.

If the "other people" includes some guy with a surveyors scope, a roll of orange tape and a newly printed subdivision plat map, I'd vote for that one for sure, two or three times if you'd let me because that would scare the %&*$ right out of me.

Even though I have not seen many lions, I have good premonition. When the hair on the back of my neck starts to tingle, I start looking around carefully. The one encounter I had with a lion happened that way :(

I had the exact same thing happen to me while walking back from my treestand at dark. I've hunted my whole life and never felt that feeling of being watched or followed til then. The hairs on my neck stood up and my eyes started watering for no reason. Absolutely terrifying. That same spot has ended up being my favorite hunting spot :blink:

I left out Bigfoot, chupacabras, skinwalkers, ufo's and other unexplained type stuff, that includes the boogie man, I did put other people which does include the banjo pickin weirdos, drug farmers, and illegal smugglers (coyotes).

Ya should be afraid of the Chupacabra... Or maybe just the deer ;)

And on the lions... Try the first time ever seeing a lion, being 25 feet from one the first time ya ever see one! Good thing for me was, he didnt know I was there, and my .270 was ready for him :D

I always tell my kids the correct answer to this question. And anyone esle I teach about the outdoors for that matter.

"The only thing to fear," and or "the only real dangerous thing in the woods is man" "Animals and nature can be respected and you can almost guarantee you will avoid the dangers of them" "But man is another story, man is unpredictable" "Man is the only realy dangerious thing in the woods and respectfull precautions should always be taken"

I don't teach them to live in fear of man in the woods but make sure they are aware.

Sad but true.

Lance

After slipping on a hillside and ending up flat on my back with my legs spread wide and a century plant between them with points about 2 inches from where the legs join together, getting hurt while hunting is my number one fear. ;)

I am thinking getting hurt ranks up there. I usually hunt with other people, so if I not alone, its not a big worry.

I hunt alot in 36C, drug runners and border crossers are never far from my mind down there. Always worry about coming back to your camp/truck and having things missing. Last year on a deer hunt I glassed up 26 people coming through a wash. If you followed the wash all the way out, it was about 50 yards from my camp, if they would have stayed in it. They came out on a trail about a mile or so from my camp. On my way out I want to see how much use the trail was getting and it was about a foot wide covered in tennis shoe tracks.

Earlier that morning when we were doing a stalk on a little buck we had come thru this same wash and it was thick and had heavy cover and blind corners. Lots of sign of people using it, lots of trash and bedding areas. That was spooky quite frankly.

So other people gets the nod for me, Take Care, JLG.

Lions and killer bees! But at least with a lion you my have the chance to shoot first if you are lucky but what about the bees?They attack there ain't much you can do. It makes my skin crawl thinking about it!!

Almost left out people carrying Chupacabra's :P

Before GPS's were common use I used to worrie about getting turned around so bad that I would get lost, and then make the wrong choice and go the opposite way. But now it would be getting hurt so bad that you can't make it out. Which is how I got my name! (broke my ankle miles away from any road and my buddy said he would leave me there as bearbait!)

As for bears or lions, I just hope if I got caught where I couldn't defend myself and one attack, well then I hope they finish the job quickly. :(

I had to vote snakes/other people. Theres some freaky people in the back country at time and i dont trust em. as for snakes i love em to death but ive had tons of close calls and seen some that just happened...not fun. everything else tries to avoid us for the most part and rattlesnakes dont run they just hide if ya cant see, hear, smell somthin till your on top of it you could be in trouble. Never had a close call with anything else but 1 bear and he was just curious. Cats usually get the he11 out of the country if ya do see em.

and bearbait........comeon i think that bear the other day had you a little edgy, pretty sure of it, but at least ya didnt break another ankle cuz that bear'd a been a bit fatter for fall. :lol:

I had to vote snakes/other people. Theres some freaky people in the back country at time and i dont trust em. as for snakes i love em to death but ive had tons of close calls and seen some that just happened...not fun. everything else tries to avoid us for the most part and rattlesnakes dont run they just hide if ya cant see, hear, smell somthin till your on top of it you could be in trouble. Never had a close call with anything else but 1 bear and he was just curious. Cats usually get the he11 out of the country if ya do see em.

and bearbait........comeon i think that bear the other day had you a little edgy, pretty sure of it, but at least ya didnt break another ankle cuz that bear'd a been a bit fatter for fall. :lol:

Come on now, at that distance with him casully walking away! Not exactly a pants Sh*tting experiance!! :lol: I will admit I was a 'lil juiced up cuz he was my first visual though!! ;) Not to mention he was a BIG 'OL BRUIN!! :P

I would have to say rattlers are second on my list after fearing myself. I never thought I would ever admit that but the older I get the fear of hurting myself on every trip out crosses my mind. I do most of my scouting alone, which worries the wife, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and tend to still over do it until I hurt. :( Please say the body isn't getting old! :lol:

TJ

Come on now, at that distance with him casully walking away! Not exactly a pants Sh*tting experiance!! :lol: I will admit I was a 'lil juiced up cuz he was my first visual though!! ;) Not to mention he was a BIG 'OL BRUIN!! :P

and im pretty sure "it" was a she ;)

and im pretty sure "it" was a she ;)

Well see in a couple of weeks on if "its" got a pair or not...either way is fine with me! :P