Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

New to Turkey

So it appears I drew my first ever Turkey tag this year I believe in unit 7. Beside scouting, camo, and a shotgun what do I need? 

I have availability of shotguns that shoot 12ga 3" or 3.5" shells. Do I really need to shoot the 3.5's? They hurt...

Basic calls...slate or box are easiest To learn and use. and depending on whether early or late hunt some luck. Have fun!

3” from a 12ga will be fine. Get the Hevi-Shot or similar shells...bismuth or tungsten or whatever they use. Much better patterns and success. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

Basic calls...slate or box are easiest To learn and use. and depending on whether early or late hunt some luck. Have fun!

3” from a 12ga will be fine. Get the Hevi-Shot or similar shells...bismuth or tungsten or whatever they use. Much better patterns and success. 

28 gauge o/u 8 shot. Don’t overthink it. 

7367F451-593D-4F5A-9A19-4DCDB6C7C2A9.jpeg

31456670-A17D-48EF-A8A2-53F1DEE154E6.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigorange said:

Which hunt is better late or early?

30 minutes ago, tyler1215 said:

Which hunt is better late or early?

Early

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

So it appears I drew my first ever Turkey tag this year I believe in unit 7. Beside scouting, camo, and a shotgun what do I need? 

I have availability of shotguns that shoot 12ga 3" or 3.5" shells. Do I really need to shoot the 3.5's? They hurt...

3" is fine. I use TSS shot with a .665 choke. Definitely pattern your gun out to 45 yards. Don't listen to Adam, he'll have you buying Extended Range chokes and snipeing them at 75 yards. LOL

4 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Depends on the year -- whenever the turkeys are responding.  Calling is the key.

We can argue exceptions all day. Common sense and draw percentages will tell you that the first hunt is more desirable.

All sorts of things may make the reality that the later hunt ends up with better conditions but when selecting a hunt to apply for 6 months before the season, the early hunt is the general consensus as the better bet.

I will have to double check choke tubes. I think I bought a turkey tube for my mossberg years ago because it was on clearance at cabelas.  

Is anyone using decoys or is that not really necessary? 

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

I will have to double check choke tubes. I think I bought a turkey tube for my mossberg years ago because it was on clearance at cabelas.  

Is anyone using decoys or is that not really necessary? 

I have not used them here but my buddy used them a couple of years ago when I went to OK to hunt Rio's with him on a morning hunt and they worked ok and I too a nice Tom at about 25'.