Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

What caliber should I buy?

Hi all! I saw how my .243 did on my hunt and was impressed by it! But it isn't a good long term option. What would be a good all around caliber for anything to a coues deer to as large as maybe a cow bison? Would a 7mm-08 or 300 MAG be okay? Thoughts? Thank you!

Most will say go 300 win mag or 7 mm mag. Ammo is every where ( used to be , not right now) and it's a caliber you can hunt every AZ big game animal with at any of your comfortable ranges that you practice very consistently at. Hope that helps, way to many other great calibers out there, but that will get ya started. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DUG said:

I'm kind of partial to the 270 WSM.

I just got one couple months ago, starting to really like it! I noticed the other day that there were plenty of boxes of .270 Win, .270 WSM, and .260 Rem on the shelf at the Phx Sportsmans.

1 minute ago, 10Turkeys said:

I just got one couple months ago, starting to really like it! I noticed the other day that there were plenty of boxes of .270 Win, .270 WSM, and .260 Rem on the shelf at the Phx Sportsmans.

Is a 270 WSM big for a cow bison? Even a bull elk too?

My BAR 270 Win has taken about 9 Elk. My .270 WSM has taken about 7 Elk including a one shot kill at about 575 yards. That's about my max. You can shoot 100 gr. to 150 gr. and shoot anything AZ has to offer.

• Like 1

I have both a 7rem Mag and the 300 WSM.  Neither is what I would call fun to shoot from a recoil standpoint, I put a brake on  the 7mag and it works great, but the muzzle blast makes it IMPERATIVE that you have ear protection.  I shot it without once  on  a split second shot decision one year, and my left ear rings to this day. I put a B&C stock   on my 300 with the decelerator pad on it and it helped, but still bucks.   The 270 is a another consideration, less recoil, plenty of KE  and  good long range ballistics.  Watched a friend drop a big bull in its tracks with one Wednesday night. If you get a mag rifle that kicks the snot  out of you and you start flinching, it  will do you no good. 

• Like 1

What about a .308? I am a smaller guy so I would hate to start flinching because I am scared of a big kick. I used to do that from shooting a 30-30 at 9 years old and took me until this year to really get myself under controll. Can a .308 kill an animal as big as a cow bison? Is the 30-06 an option too?

• Like 1

both will get it done. A good stock and recoil pad helps a ton. .. the 30 06 isnt bad to shoot, I've had one since I was 14 , changed stocks to a B&C and still love that rifle.

Keep in mind the  lighter the rifle, the more you will feel the recoil.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Hi all! I saw how my .243 did on my hunt and was impressed by it! But it isn't a good long term option. What would be a good all around caliber for anything to a coues deer to as large as maybe a cow bison? Would a 7mm-08 or 300 MAG be okay? Thoughts? Thank you!

.270, .308,  as far as a cow bison why buy a gun to include one of those as you can only get 1 per lifetime, so take that species out of the mix.

I dont understand this part

But it isn't a good long term option

does it degrade over time?.

what I think your doing is trying to justify ONE caliber thats good for everything which in my opinion is not a good thing to do.

the three species your going to get drawn for the most in AZ are muleys,couse and elk(bull or cow) so find a cal that works for those 3.

the other things you have are in heavy brush/ pines flats long range etc etc. always nice to have a bunch of rifles or different cals and different scope options. if I only had to pick one it would be a 270 winchester in ruger #1 or a bolt gun with a 4.5x14 x 50mm scope with a 30mm tube. but since I dont have to pick one I have many rifles in the same cals from .223-220swift-300 win mag(and alot in between) in different rifles and scope combinations cause in AZ you can hunt in thick stuff open stuff and long range stuff.

There' several guys on this sight who have killed their bison with the 270 that I know of, one a bull and one a cow.  As I told you about that 243, Dont let anyone tell you its not enough gun.  With  quality  bullets and good shot placement, that 243 of mine has taken several elk to the processor.  None have gone more than 50 yds . Two dropped in their tracks.  Recoil is a dream.  I love shooting that gun, put a light trigger in it and go kill stuff!

• Like 2