tagsoup_

Spot and Stalk Mountain Lion Hunting

2 hours ago, recurveman said:

When I go calling normally I just call for lions.   Not that dogs and other critters won't come in but I really think most lions are in different spots than dogs.   Honestly I don't think using the "right" call is that big of a deal.   Normally I look around and see what is normally in the area.   If I'm seeing jack rabbits, cotton tails, is it fawning season, ect.   Then I will use what they would expect to hear in regards to a call.   Biggest key is being in their living room when you start calling.   I think another big key to cats is the wind.   I set up so I can see dead down wind.   Normally off to the side about 100 yards if possible and I want to spend most of my time looking down wind.   I've called in more than a few lions and 100% of the time they come dead down wind and you have to be looking that direction.  You almost don't even need to look at the call.......Just dead down wind but you need to be to the side so when they come in they don't smell you.   Also, I typically won't shoot anything that comes in unless it is a lion.   I've past many dogs waiting for a lion.    Once in a while a dog will come in very late in the calling sequence......Well I'll just make sure that my rifle is still zeroed and move on the the next calling location.

Calling in a lion is VERY doable.     

What kinds of sounds do you have the most success with? Anything other than a standard wounded rabbit call?

28 minutes ago, Redman said:

Normally see one or two cats a year glassing, problem been they never stop and getting a shot is impossible.

This year I glassed her up (November deer / friends hunt), she bedded for a long time, it was getting late, pulled out my call and had my friend start  calling - she stood up and hammered her at 550 yds.

4 year old female-  

2B847E41-3E2E-4B45-A5EF-B039B5B461B3.jpeg

Nice work! What method did you use to age her? From what I can tell that cat isn't more than 2 years old.

2 hours ago, tagsoup_ said:

What kinds of sounds do you have the most success with? Anything other than a standard wounded rabbit call?

Typically I use a Jack rabbit distress but I'm sure others work really good too.   I've been super curious about the actual lion sounds.   Don't know if those would work or not.  

3 hours ago, tagsoup_ said:

Nice work! What method did you use to age her? From what I can tell that cat isn't more than 2 years old.

Only good cat is a dead cat (LOL), but the mandatory checkin / G&F officer told me based on how her teeth were wore, she was 4  - once the tooth analysis is back I will be able to know for sure- to be honest it looked huge when I glassed it and when I walked up to it,  I was like that thing is 1/2 the size of my last lion.... also it can be very hard to tell male vs female, male cats don't have big nuts or wackers... 

I am not a good at capping skulls or paws, so my advice for anyone shooting a cat  and wants to make a rug or mount, learn to cape, keeping it cool and dry- then checking it in at G&F, then to the taxidermist or someone who can cape is a process 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, recurveman said:

Typically I use a Jack rabbit distress but I'm sure others work really good too.   I've been super curious about the actual lion sounds.   Don't know if those would work or not.  

How long do you call for? One video, I think one I posted a link to the dude was calling almost 30 minutes.

3 hours ago, Jeffdavison said:

She tasted great. I had more requests for it from friends than all the deer I’ve taken

CE379194-80A7-4484-B7F4-568FB3296172.jpeg

That’s great to hear, and that’s a good bit of meat. Gets me excited!

1 hour ago, tagsoup_ said:

This website is interesting, and he sells some lion sounds that apparently work really well. A decoy too. Its like duck hunting!

I didn't see the decoy.

Catfish kev- in the washington videos i was impressed by their tracking the wounded lions. especially the one with no snow. interesting they use rifles which is what i use, but many here use 3' 4 buck and it in many cases woud be better. for sure i would use it for following up a wounded one. ron

I don't know if you consider my lion still hunting, spot and stalk, baiting, dogs, self defense  or all of the above; but getting close enough to get one with an arrow is doable

IMG_20201117_102755.png.70eb9fb2dfe555d5bb9be373512305ac.png

IMG_20201117_101338.thumb.jpg.3bdac9c4a2dbbb7466f4c6bd8dddbf2a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

20 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

How long do you call for? One video, I think one I posted a link to the dude was calling almost 30 minutes.

I've called in 4 lions.   Normally they come in within the first 15-30 minutes.    I typically will make a stand last 45-60 minutes just to be sure.    Depends on how I'm feeling.   I've had them come running in, roaring at the top of their lungs (that is super, super freaky) , come in behind me super stealthy and never see them.   Really just depends but they will always be dead down wind.   Always!!!!       

I can tell you from experience.   I've seen lion tracks behind me after I'm done calling that are in my tracks walking in to set up the call............That is a bit freaky and it is good to look behind you.   I've had them within 20-30 yards behind me and I didn't know they were there until I see their tracks inside of my tracks when I'm leaving.....  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, idgaf said:

I don't know if you consider my lion still hunting, spot and stalk, baiting, dogs, self defense  or all of the above; but getting close enough to get one with an arrow is doable

IMG_20201117_102755.png.70eb9fb2dfe555d5bb9be373512305ac.png

IMG_20201117_101338.thumb.jpg.3bdac9c4a2dbbb7466f4c6bd8dddbf2a.jpg

You should take this shiit  down ! It morons that post crap like this that give HSUS ammo ! It’s cool you got one with a bow but anybody that post  a lion with an arrow In its face is a straight up dumb 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NoBull350 said:

You should take this shiit  down ! It morons that post crap like this that give HSUS ammo ! It’s cool you got one with a bow but anybody that post  a lion with an arrow In its face is a straight up dumb

Yeah I’m with this guy, first off why/how did you shoot a lion in the cheek, and why are you proud of it... that should be a huge embarrassment for you

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, NoBull350 said:

No

• Like 2