bowhunter-tw

Timney trigger- worth it?

I have Timneys in two of my three rifles and the third has an equally good Trigger Tech that came with the rifle. Absolutely worth it. Each rifle is set two between three pounds and a touch under two. 
Pick up a Wheeler manual trigger weight gauge. $17 on Amazon right now. 

21 hours ago, Saguaro said:

I’m going to have to look at Jard a little more.   I seem to gloss over them but I hear that name more and more lately.

Todd at Southern Xpress is installing a Jard trigger and bedding an A-Bolt II for me as we speak.

I love the couple Timney I have on Howa 1500's, and a Savage 110. All of them are nice and clean. I think they are all set between about 1.5-2.5lbs. 

My first "nice" trigger was for a Howa, and I left it set at factory 3lbs. It was great. Then I installed a couple others and they were closer to 2lbs, and all of a sudden that 3lb felt heavy. You get spoiled, but it helps with accuracy. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, bowhunter-tw said:

I have a browning xbolt HC Speed 308 with a factory trigger that has a lighter spring installed. The trigger is light and crisp but I think I am still pulling the rifle and it shows at longer ranges. I have a howa 1500 and think I prefer its two stage style trigger better than the (what I assume to be) single stage break on the x bolt. Maybe I am not using the right technique to pull the trigger or something. How would a timney trigger compare to the stock modified xbolt trigger? Would it be a worthy upgrade or do I just need to learn proper trigger technique? 

like to hear yall’s opinion... thanks!

To know for sure if you're pulling the rifle or disturbing the rifle while pulling the trigger try taking a video of yourself or have someone watch you while you do a dry fire. It won't hurt your rifle to do it several times just don't dry fire with a rimfire rifle as it can break or damage the firing pin. When you can pull the trigger without disturbing the rifle you will be able to execute a proper shot. More than likely what is affecting your long range results is your wind reading ability. Practice in the wind with a wind meter and several wind flags and deploying a chronograph while you doing it is even better. Even the best trigger isn't going to help improper shooting techniques!

Get an index card, put a small dot in the center, put it up at the closest distance your scope will allow you to see it clear,  be it inside or out and practice dry firing on the dot. Make sure you are staying with the shot or follow through each and every time. Also start calling your shot, don't matter if you are dry firing or using live ammo call every shot. Immediately after pulling the trigger say to yourself I pulled that one right, or that was dead center. When you get outside and start shooting and calling your shot and it's not hitting where you called, something isn't right, either you, the gun or conditions, ie wind. 

0214211338~2.jpg