Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

Mexico 08/09! (Long & Pic Heavy)

Well this hunt actually started in the middle of October when Sundevil, Scout’m, and I headed down to Sonora to scout the ranch that we had each purchased DIY tags for later in the year. When we arrived at the ranch I will admit that I had my worries when I saw all of the catclaw and cactus. I immediately thought what great mule deer country even though I had been told there weren’t any of the floppy eared creatures on the ranch. There weren't hardly any oaks like I had envisioned but we still saw plenty of deer and several real nice bucks with one being close to 115”. The rancher and his son were really good people who we all really enjoyed being around. The ranch had a lot of water with stock tanks and natural springs that had been developed with concrete drinkers. The ranch house itself was very comfortable with a nice kitchen and best of all a hot shower at the end of each day. We set out trail cams and learned the ranch roads and boundaries and then headed back to the states.

HPIM1033.jpg

Mexico1.jpg

HPIM1066.jpg

HPIM1059.jpg

livigroom.jpg

Ranchedit1.jpg

Finally December rolled around and we headed back down to do some hunting! Jim Parker (Rut on the forum) was with me to help with the glassing and picture taking and Sundevil, Scout’m, and one other hunter was leading the way in their truck. We arrived at the ranch with some seriously windy weather which seemed to really hinder the deer’s movements. We hunted hard for three days without seeing any bucks that needed closer inspection. On the fourth day Jim, Justo Jr., and I were set up on top of a large mesa that provided a 360 degree view with me glassing off one side, Justo Jr. glassing off another, and Jim glassing off the other. Jim had forgot his radio at the ranch so we couldn’t communicate with each other so around noon I walked back to where Jim was set up to check in. Jim had a video of a couple of bucks from just minutes before that he thought I should check out.

December Buck

cap009.jpg

GrabbedFrame2.jpg

Needless to say a plan was formed with Jim and Justo Jr. dropping me off to hike in above where the bucks had went and then they would go back to the ranch to get the radio and then back up on the mesa to watch the backside. Everything worked out perfect except for the part of me making the shot. Yep I missed him bedded at 280 yards! After the first shot the “fever” set in and I couldn’t hit the hillside let alone the big buck. The buck snuck out of the canyon and darkness fell on my last full day of hunting in Mexico for the month! I conservatively score the “missed buck” at 115 to 118”. The rest of the hunting party had seen a lot of deer and quite a few bucks just not any shooters.

T1SundayBuck.jpg

Fast forward to January 15th when Jim and I headed down early to the ranch with Sundevil, Scout’m, and two other hunters coming in later that same day. Jim and I decided that we would pound the area that I had missed the big buck in December until we found him or something better. We spent a lot of time up on the mesa seeing some great bucks and a lot of does…..unfortunately all of the bucks we were seeing were all broke up.

Broke Buck

headon.jpg

lookrt2.jpg

After a few days of being up on the mesa we decided to go look at some different country for a while. Everyone was seeing deer and quite a few bucks with a few in the low 100’s but it just wasn’t quite working out.

Stephen (one of the other hunters) had taken a nice three by three on Sunday and it helped motivate the whole group. Monday Jim and I headed back up on the mesa and saw some really good bucks, at least we think they would be if they had all of their horns! I was getting discouraged seeing all of the broken horns and I think I passed up the December buck at forty yards because he had no right main beam past his G-2. That night back at the ranch we had learned that Scout’m had found a really nice buck that was intact and chasing a doe that he had put a stock on only for it to get dark without any shot opportunities. Everyone but Jim and I were leaving the next day around noon so Sundevil and Scout’m went after the buck the next morning and again got close but not able to get a shot. Jim and I found a really good buck that day that I think would be in the 108-112” range but he was lined out cruising for does and I never could catch up to him before he walked out of site. Before the guys left they called me on the radio to let me know how it went that morning and where the buck was last seen.

The next day (Wednesday) Jim and I got off to a late start due to a flat tire on the prowler, a little sleeping in, and just plain not getting going! We decided that we would take the truck and head over to the “Sisters Ranch” which was part of the area we could hunt and see what we could find. On the way we would be passing right by where Scout’m had been chasing his buck so we stopped to glass for a little bit. Jim spotted a nice two point hounding a doe and we were about to leave when I spotted three does up feeding. I got Jim on them and he immediately said there’s our buck! I left Jim right there in the road with his optics and I jumped back in the truck and hurried back around behind the knolls that the buck and does were on. I hadn’t gone twenty yards from the truck when Jim calls me on the radio to let me know the buck and one doe was coming over the saddle right at me. I dropped the radio and threw up my rifle just as the buck came into view. I let one fly and missed just low! The buck and doe took off back the way they had came. Jim got back on the radio and said they ran about 100 yards and then the buck got back to chasing the doe. I quietly cussed myself for rushing the shot and started my stock once again. I got up to the saddle, busted out a doe, busted out a spike, but I just couldn’t find the buck and two other does. I kept easing along talking to Jim on the radio when I looked up the canyon and saw the group quietly sneaking out. I ranged the buck at 385 yards and got set up on my shooting sticks and took my time. I didn’t miss this time and dropped the buck. I got my spotting scope set up and could see that the buck was down so I headed back to get Jim. We hiked up to the buck and even though he wasn’t the biggest buck that I had seen I couldn’t be happier. He has great character with a cheater on each side and great mass and ended up scoring right at 103". Jim did a wonderful job on the pictures and after hunting for twelve days in Mexico I was on cloud nine. I can’t thank Jim enough for sticking with me through all of it and helping me the whole way.

I’ve got to give credit to Scout’m and Sundevil for finding this buck and sharing his whereabouts with me before they left. Scout’m is back down hunting this weekend and I hope he finds a big one.

whereisthesmile.jpg

bigbuck1.jpg

faceinleftcopy.jpg

bigbuck2.jpg

Shootered.jpg

My hunting partner and friend, Jim Parker.

boys.jpg

Our hosts Justo and Justo Jr who I can't thank enough for their great hospitality.

UstoandJr.jpg

Thanks for putting up with me for the long story!

Phil

Great story and great buck! Sorry to hear about the missed shot in December, but it happens. Keep up the good work!

Congrats again Phil!

Great buck and great pictures.

I am happy you tagged a nice one and look forward to see what continues to come out of that ranch.

I got your e-mail, I'll give you a holler tomorrow before I take off to Mississippi.

Congrats to you guys again. (you guys need to smile more) :P

Great buck and story! Very much congrats. I met Jim in 03' in unit 10 during elk hunt. We have mutual friends. Great guy. Congrats again

CH,

Awesome story- great DIY hunt- last day perserverance and connecting on that buck at the end...!

I think it's about time for me to do a DIY mexico hunt ;)

Great job and pics are really nice!

AzP&Y

Doug

Thanks Doug. I had been wanting to go on a DIY hunt for a long time and when a couple of members of the site asked me if I wanted in I just couldn't pass it up. I am very happy that I took the chance and went. It was great meeting and hunting with other members and also a lot easier since they knew the process of getting our tags, gun permits, and such. As long as I can afford it I'll be going again next year!

Phil

I've got to give credit to Scout'm and Sundevil for finding this buck and sharing his whereabouts with me before they left. Scout'm is back down hunting this weekend and I hope he finds a big one.

Thanks for the credit Phil but it's really not necessary as that buck gave me the slip twice so I had more than my fair chance to hang my tag on him.

In the end it all worked out great as I got to hang my tag on a really unique buck. (Story and Photos to come later)

We all had a really great time and I look forward to hunting with you again.