Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

Another Season Came and Went.

Had a tough hunt down in Southern Arizona this year but we had a very good time none the less.

Didn't have much luck this year with trail cameras but had a couple good bucks spotted from scouting trips.

The first choice buck couldn't be found the three days prior to season or on the opener so I opted to try another area that has treated me well in the past. Jim (Rut) and I found three bucks with one of them being quite nice right at first light.

Spotted Buck.

By the time I decided that he was a buck that I wanted to try and take he was out of range and we watched him feed over the hill with his buddies. The third day Jim, Stacy (So I Hunt), and I went in and set up only to have another hunter come in behind us and shoot the buck from the day before, but instead of heading to another area we stayed put and hit the glass hard. We were seeing numerous does and fawns and knew it was just a matter of time until we found a buck. As the sun started to sink behind the mountain I spotted a nice three by feeding down the ridge. With some work obligations that needed to be taken care of and also with this buck being a bit bigger then Stacy’s last buck he decided that he would close the gap a bit and try and shoot the buck. Stacy got set up at a distance around 368 yards and before long he had anchored his biggest Coues to date.

Stacy's Shot

HPIM1317.jpg

HPIM1323.jpg

Jim and I spent the next couple of days trying to locate the big buck that we knew to be in the area without any luck so we decided to head to the top of the mountain and glass back down the canyons and draws. Jim spotted a good buck feeding on a ridge around 900 yards away and we watched until he bedded down.

Buck Spotted On Ridge

Jim stayed behind the scope and I started the stalk. I was able to get to 381 yards before I ran out of cover and got set up for the shot. I got set up and made what I thought was two very good shots. Even though Jim had a different angle and was along ways off he still managed to get the shots on camera.

First Shot

Second Shot

I bailed off the rim and crossed the canyon to reach where we thought the buck would be all though I must have missed as I couldn't find any blood and tracked the buck for a very long time until I finally ran out of sign. After slowing down the videos and playing them frame by frame you can see both shots were clean misses.

The next two days were spent trying to find the buck without any luck so when I found this buck I didn’t hesitate to take him at 318 yards.

HPIM1309.jpg

HPIM1316.jpg

For as dry and hot as it was this year I am very happy with the outcome! I got to spend another hunt with great friends and family eating wonderful food and enjoying the great outdoors! I can’t wait to get out there and do it all again in a month down in Mexico!

Phil,

Nice bucks- for a really tough year!

Can't wait to see your MEXICO pics!

AzP&Y

Doug

Phil,

Great write up buddy wish I was going to old Mexico with ya this year :( As Phil said about the eating it's the best and a good thing that the mountains are big and steep to work off the calories :lol:

Great write up Phil. Adding the video really helps the story come to life. Congratulations again on a great hunt!

Great deer! You are right about it being dry. Both of my reliable water sources in 36A are dry. There are still a few deer around, but I think they are traveling 2 plus miles to get water. Searched all last weekend for some hidden water, couldn't find any.

nice team work