Sign in to follow this  
coyotekid

good ending to a long wait

Good evening.

I haven't been on CWT in a while and it makes a guy sad to get on here and read about all the BS that goes on. I have actually really been looking forward to getting on here and reading all the good stories and pictures. Im really happy for all the successful families out there who are getting out and loving the sport of bein in the woods. My family and I have been one of those blessed enough this year to get out and go hunting, and even more blessed to get to shoot a bull elk.

This year turned 26. I have been putting in for an early bull tag since I was 10 years old with out giving up. I have got to do way more hunting than I deserve so I'm not complaining that it took 18 bonus points for this AZ kid to get to chase the giant AZ bulls. I figure I have been on at least 3 elk hunts for every one of those 16 years. and now it was my turn.

My friends, family and my girlfriend are all saints for having to deal with me going just about crazy waiting for September 9th. We had set up camp 2 weeks before the hunt and scouted a few weekends. I had seen lots and lots of bulls no world records but lots a shooters. I knew I would be doing my hardest scouting with my bow in hand on Friday. My younger (not littler!) brother took off time and was coming down, my great friends Dave and Steff were flying down from Portland to hunt with me my Dad was coming monday, and several other friends were trying their hardest to make the time to all get to spend a little time in camp helping me, Leah my girlfriend had been cooking and packing for me for weeks and she even still mustard up the patients to come out and deal with me in camp. The wall tent was FULL of the Greatest people in my life.

Opening morning was not too bad heard one way off bugle and jumped a small bull out of his bed we both jumped is more like it. At about 2:30pm that afternoon the rain started and if I would have known how long it was gonna last I woulda quit elk hunting and started to build an ark! about 7 and a half days later it stopped. We still got some good hunting in and believe it or not I managed to get close enough to shoot to a bull about 7 times they just werent the ones that were gonna make me happy. I wasnt holding out for no "400" (cause they only get shot in the leg or woonded or just get away any ways,) but I just wanted the pretty bull that was gonna be worth the wait.

Slowly people had to leave camp to get back to their payin jobs and it was down to just me and dad. Dad wasnt my biggest supporter being that he just about didnt talk to me when I told him I blew all my points on a 'fricken stick' tag (archery) but by God he was there and putting in the full days with me. We got close a few times and I had to come up with some excuse or another about how I just plain got it handed to me by an ol bull or a jumpy cow. Leah was coming back for my last two days of hunting and to pack up camp. I had made up my mind that I wouldnt hate my self if I didnt get to shoot a bull because I had had such a fun time and I kid you not about ten minutes later we stopped the truck in the dark to listen and BAM! the sun of a gun was about a hundred yards off the road in the dark raking a tree! I couldt see horns but I started to move in. He had different ideas and followed his hot cow and took me for a dang long walk. Had to be near a mile before I saw him and he was a super dink! Shoot, wasted my last morning chasing a dork bull.

I realized that his cows were leaving him and headed for another bugle off a few ridges over and I even caught a short glimps of the other bull and I told myself he was a definite shooter after the 2 seconds I saw him. I started a pretty good jog knowing full well how far he was and I had to get a head of the wind. I made it to the top of the hill just as the party started. There were bulls coming from ever direction except down wind for once! I caught another 500 yard glimps of another giant bull. Cows were every where and mewing like crazy. the RUT has Started! on my last day to hunt! go figure. I got caught between two cedars out in the open when lead momma came out and gave me the stink eye. a bull bugled and she looked away. I ranged her, 72 yards. some where between 2 seconds and eternity later horns walked out and stopped quarting away with his head in a tree.... well shoot I think he had good fronts and was mostly a 6x6.... 72 is pretty far... I know I can make the shot.... wait why am I arguing with myself... SHOOT.

Elk are going crazy around me and none of them care that I stink like a dude and just stuck their boyfriend! I know I made a good shot and now just get to wait, I snuck over found blood and headed out to the road to find my dad and Leah. About the time I found them two strangers in camo come out of the woods from my bulls direction. One fella piped up 'yal need help loading that bull out of the woods?" and I was sort of confused, He explained he and his bud were on the trail of the other big bull and they come over the hill and seen my orange head band hanging in the tree and then spotted my dead bull! they volunteered the rest of their day helping me and my ol man get my trophy out. Yup you heard me two total strangers hunting the same two bulls and no one got in a fist fight!

I had't seen my bull yet because I didnt want to push him, just let him be. They told me he had died just the other side of the tree from where I shot! no more than 80 yards! He told me I was not going to be disappointed,,, truer words aint been spoken ever!

Came around the corner to my dream bull after a life time of getting ready.

In the end we weren't camped with in 2 miles of another hunter, we only saw/talked to 3 groups of hunters and every one of them were friendly and nice guys. we would swap plans for the afternoon hunts and stay out of each others way. Made two new friends and had a dream come true. I put tag #1 of 150 on awesome bull.

Hope you all are still awake after all this, and have good hunts yourself.

cheers,

sam

post-2382-0-86661600-1316490032_thumb.jpeg

Nice Bull! Congrats and glad to see other fellow hunters help out!

that's one o' them horse bulls. sucker is as big a horse. hump of his shoulder is about 4 feet off the ground! nice bull. good to hear a happy story too. was he kinda old? sure looks like it. Lark.

dang straight!

Great write up and even better finish!

Talk about sealing the deal at the last minute!

Big time congratulations!

Ya done good.

thanks for all the cudos guys. Just wanted everyone to know there are still good folks out there. We woulda got my bull out but it would have taken three days with out two really stand up guys. turns out we had some mutual friends and I hope to make it to a hunting camp to pay them back some day.

And lark, yeah this thing was bigger than a horse. heck his eye balls are 9 or 10 inches apart! I dont know how to age a bull well or even at all but his bases are pretty old looking and his face looked like and old bull to, but he might have just been a young stud with more groceries than he knew what to do with.

sam

Congratulations on your trophy Sam. The story was great and the picture is a perfect ending to a most enjoyable story. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. :)

TJ