Santana Outdoors

Stevi's first Bull Elk

Early Rifle tag during the rut.

Here is a few photos of Stevi (my daughters) first bull. I will have a video latter. We had an awesome time.

We knew that there was a 390 bull in the area and was excited to know that she had a chance. I saw him on Wednesday morning but not on Thursday. We got out there early on opening day. We have been watching bulls in this area for weeks and not too much traffic so I was thinking we had it all t ourselves. We get out to where we were going to start hiking at 4:30 in the morning and there was 2 trucks already there a guide said he had a hunter close to where we were going since 3am. We'll we told him we were also going to be out there and asked where he was so we didn't get in each others way, at first he was reluctant to tell us. Then he said he was to the east side of a mile long area. So we headed to the west.

Got out to our knoll about 1/2 hour before daylight we have at least 30 bulls screaming all around us. Some as close as 50 yards. As it got daylight we did not see the big bull. But saw a very nice bull and Stevi said she wanted to try and get to it. As we worked our way through the screaming bulls we finally got set up to check it out and see if she wanted to take it. After a few looks she said yes she wanted to shoot it. Mike ranged him at 550 yards. Since Stevi only shot at 300 yards we knew we needed to close the gap for her to feel comfortable. So we took off and dropped down off the point we were on and worked our way up the hill. We busted a few cows and dink bulls but there was so many they just ran off like it was nothing.

We topped over the ridge and there he was at 250 yards, we got her set up and she hit it with the first shot and it hunched up and just stood there which gave her time reload and shoot again. Boom! He dropped in his tracks.

It wasn't the big bull we were first after but she was so excited and to be able to spend weekends in the field with her glassing, camping and to have my son there and great friends was priceless.

I still don't know if she was more excited over her elk or the pink gun and back pack she had!

Eric

post-4156-0-32072600-1316908135_thumb.jpg

post-4156-0-06049200-1316908288_thumb.jpg

post-4156-0-19667400-1316908472_thumb.jpg

It is not always about the size of the Bull but the size of the experience... Sounds like it will be hard to top the experience... And still an Awesome bull!

p.s. my daughter would love that pink stock :D

Way to go Stevi!!! Nice job at keeping your composure to shoot again, that's great! Pink gun is very cool B)

Right on!! Congrats!

The rut hunt with your daughter, can't think of anything better!! Congrats to Stevi, I'm sure she's still hearing those bugling bulls, great story!

Congratulations Stevi on a great looking bull. I particularly like the pink rifle. Thanks for sharing the story and family hunting together is way to awesome. :)

TJ

Awesome footage! Awesome shot! Awesome Bull! "Shoot Him Again", "Shoot Him Again", That's what I was saying, sitting on the edge of my seat.