Coues 'n' Sheep

Another Scarbrough Kiss

Sorry for the long read.... :rolleyes:

My Good Friend and hunting buddy Jason (CW.com member JasonClay) called me when the results came out and excitedly told me his son, Jett, had drawn his first choice juniors deer tag…. That is how it all began.

After months of talking about it, Jason and Jett met Colton and I at “camp” 2 nights before season and the scout was on! We went straight to a couple of my favorite glassing points at first light the next morning and by 10 am Colton had turned up one possible shooter and we had turned up one (maybe 2) more shooter Coues bucks. You see Jett had already made up his mind that his “Any Antlered Deer” tag actually meant, “Any Large Antlered Coues”… So we didn’t even count the large framed 4x2 carp that I videoed! The next morning was lots of rain and I turned up a Giant 3x Mulie and in the PM after the worst of the storms passed Jason and Colton glassed another great Coues that they felt was in “too Rugged of country for a juniors hunt”…

Opening morning dawned with much excitement as Jason and Colton would return with Jett to where we had seen all the bucks on the first day… and I would go in an opposite direction with another CW.com’er and son (Mike and Jarred) to chase some of the great Mulies to be had. By mid morning Colton had spotted a new buck that he and Jason dismissed as “too far and not quite big enough for opening day”… 4 hours later Jason re-spots the same buck who is obviously on a mission... and is now getting very close to them… They now get a better look at him and realize that he is better than they thought and they should try for him. As they ease a bit closer the buck keeps coming… once they were as far as they could go without losing site of the deer they set Jett up and waited for the buck to come. The buck was done closing the distance now and was at 405 yards. We all knew that Jett shoots “lights out” at 300ish, he has proved it every time he picks up his .243, today Jett was begging Dad to let him shoot this buck at 405… Jason and Colton agreed that if he was Sure he was steady then he should take the shot. Jett got the rifle on the tri-pod and one elbow on a knee and then immediately got the buck in the scope… then he professed that he was not steady enough and needed his other elbow on his other knee, so Colton placed a rock under his foot to elevate the knee to the desired height and then Jett settled in… “Jett, do you see that bush? He is right below it.” … “Yeah, I got him.” … “Are you sure you are steady enough?” … “Yup.”… Colton could hear Jett’s long labored breath and then the bark of the rifle… Whop! The buck lunged forward about 10 paces before piling into the dirt! Jason and Colton were Speechless… they looked at each other then at Jett who was barking for orders after he racked another shell into the chamber… and then the mountain side erupted with their praise and excitement!

Of course the buck was 400+ yards down off in the haired over canyon and they knew they had the rest of the day of hard labor ahead of them and lunch was over a mile away on the Ranger. But I don’t think that all caught up the them till they were half way out of that H e l l H o l e… :lol: Jett’s buck had NO ground shrinkage so the adrenalin rush kept them moving. They took great photos, processed the deer and the split everything up for the trip out, Jett of course packed out his head and cape, Jason packed all their gear, and Colton packed out all the deer meat of the Big bodied buck… We were eagerly waiting for them at Camp and it was worth the wait!

Congrats Jett!! We are all Sooooo Proud of you and the Lil’ Man you are have become!!! Jett's Buck was camp scored at 98 6/8" gross and let me say that you have Never met a kid who is more Thrilled about his deer than Jett!! (see below)

On a side note.... Jason, Colton and I discussed that evening around the camp fire how amazing it was that twice Jett had, with ease, aquired the buck at 400+ yds with little effort and Jason made a great point by saying that Jett has been shooting a SCOPED bb gun since the age of 6... and has always had a gun in his hands at every chance... target shooting, bird hunting,coyotes, rabbits, squirrels... Jason has nurtured the shooter in Jett since he was old enough to safly handle any weapon.... And it Shows!! Way to Go Dad... this deer is a success years in the making!! ;)

Thanks for Reading. ;)

post-996-0-61751600-1318389497_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-29159200-1318389538_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-31119800-1318389583_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-41684000-1318389625_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-73103300-1318389668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That kid is thrilled! I love the picture of him sleeping with it. Congratulations on an awesome buck.

Great write up,

Heck of a shot,

Nice buck,

Cute kid,

Awesome pics!

You got it all covered!

Congratulations Jett!

You see Jett had already made up his mind that his "Any Antlered Deer" tag actually meant, "Any Large Antlered Coues"

This was my favorite part of the story!

LOL!

Absolutely fantastic! Jett you are amazing! Congrats on an incredible hunting adventure!

That is one awesome story. What a hunt and Dad you did a great job with that young man. I just love ready these Junior hunt write ups.

Great buck, Great shot and one of the best stories of the year! Congratulations Jett! That last picture is a wonderful "Spirit of the Hunt" picture!