Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Turkey Hunt

Every year I get to hunt with my Dad I can't help but to think back when I was just out of diapers and tagging along in the woods hunting rabbits & squirrels back in Ohio. As the years go by it is a pleasure to pay back for all he has taught me.

Opening day was to fall on my weekend to work but I wasn't going to let that get in the way. With some vacation scheduled I was on my way with my wife, two dogs, and Dad following me down the Houston Mesa Road towards a camp I have been using for more than 20yrs now. It was Thursday afternoon and the snow was coming down as hard as I have ever seen it but ended as quickly as it started with 27deg. temp. My wife says she isn't getting up no 3:30 in the morning to hunt birds. :huh: I had other plans for her but didn't want to ruin her evening. As we roll in to camp Dad saids he isn't getting up in the morning either.

The alarm goes off at 3:30 am and now I have my work cut out for me. It is 24deg. A little help with some coffee, they both finally start to get dressed but it isn't going fast enough for me. We still have a few miles to go and then the walk in to our separate hunting spots. I take the quad ride out of the morning by hauling them by trailer to our starting point which they appreciated. By the time I get the bikes loaded we no longer need our flashlights and the birds are on the ground. :o Dad is having problems getting his muscles to work but he manages to get on the quad and I send him on his way. By the time my wife and I get to our hunting area it is 5:30 and we set up for me to call. I get a response right away from two gobblers. I call again and one seems to like what he hears and starts our way. After 20 minutes he is within 40 yards but we can't see him for the brush. I tell Peg to get ready and don't shoot till we make sure it has a beard. I call one last time and in he comes and I loose it. I get to shaking and I look at Peg , with her gun up, me holding on to her pant leg waiting to give the signal to shoot. We let the bird reach 13yrds and she successfully fills her tag for the second year in a row. After a few pictures and a radio call to Dad we head for camp.

Dad strolls in to camp at 8:30 and tells us how he shot his turkey. After many pictures I head out at noon to finally get some hunting in and finish my hunt when two gobblers head my way after I make a series of calls. I take the biggest of the two and we are done by 1:10pm.

post-1903-1272898924_thumb.jpg

Peg and Lexie

post-1903-1272898528_thumb.jpg

Peg & I with her turkey

post-1903-1272898473_thumb.jpg

Dad & I with his bird.

post-1903-1272899055_thumb.jpg

Me & Lexie with mine

post-1903-1272898801_thumb.jpg

Me, Dad, Peg

post-1903-1272898693_thumb.jpg

Lexie Mae thinks she owns this one

3 birds, That is awesome!! Great Job!! Is that a lab puppy? Great looking dog!

Congrats TJ on all the family success!!!

Brian

TJ, You are da man!!! Awesome job on an amazing hunt! I just got back from helping my dad this past weekend so I can relate to what you described! Congrats to you three on a great accomplishment and great birds! JIM>

I love the pic with Lexie owning that bird!

That is awesome. Congrats on a great hunt!

Very nice indeed! Congrats TJ on a great hunt and some beautiful birds.

great job Tom,and give Peg a great job also, by the way in the pic with all of you I say you look alot like Jerry P. ;) ;)

great job Tom,and give Peg a great job also, by the way in the pic with all of you I say you look alot like Jerry P. ;) ;)

ehunt.......yes that is a yellow lab by the name of Lexie Mae. I'm hoping to get back into duck hunting this next year. She already has the run of the house and sleeps between the wife & I. We're in trouble! :lol:

Kathi.....it is Jerry. I had him feel in for me on the hunt but don't tell anyone. ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

TJ