Outdoor Writer

Arizona's Elk

Love going through past posts especially when Outdoor Writer and Bill Quimby are involved.

• Like 1

Ya ,Me too. I love the history of this State. Even more so the history of hunting and animal stories.....BOB!

• Like 1

I don't know how many times I have cruised past this pinned post while looking for new content. Tonight was the first time I have ever taken time to read it all the way through.

That was awesome.

I don't know how many times I have cruised past this pinned post while looking for new content. Tonight was the first time I have ever taken time to read it all the way through.

That was awesome.

I agree. The first time I read this thread I felt too new to post. Definitely worth a second pass. Thanks to all who contributed.

On a side note, this created an argument with my father that involved whiskey and finger pointing, so thanks for that also.

• Like 2

Any information from Outdoor Writer, Tony Mondile, or Bill Quimbly is concerned I say we are fortunate to have them as a member of cwt. They have more knowledge put together than most of us could ever think about having. They are my history mentors of this fine state and if you ever get a chance to spend a little time with either one of them it will be an honor you will never forget. :)

TJ

• Like 4

Looks like anything to create a winning story. Two things support the San Carlos  (regular sheds )  idea.   1.  If a real hunter had them from the beginning, the tips of the left antler would not be eaten off.      2. If they were not sheds, But maybe broken apart -then the parts if the skull would still be attached to each antler.    It,s amazing what people will do ,just to be recognized.      As an avid Elk hunter and Taxidermist  for 62 years, I believe the  San  Carlos Sheds, is most likely - right on... But it does accomplish something, thought provoking reading. Thanks

5 hours ago, SEEKER said:

Looks like anything to create a winning story. Two things support the San Carlos  (regular sheds )  idea.   1.  If a real hunter had them from the beginning, the tips of the left antler would not be eaten off.      2. If they were not sheds, But maybe broken apart -then the parts if the skull would still be attached to each antler.    It,s amazing what people will do ,just to be recognized.      As an avid Elk hunter and Taxidermist  for 62 years, I believe the  San  Carlos Sheds, is most likely - right on... But it does accomplish something, thought provoking reading. Thanks

I could be wrong on this (really? 🤣), but I believe Burke was the OWNER of those antlers and not necessarily a hunter who killed that bull. IOW, they were indeed sheds. 

Edit: The sheds were found by Burke in the Springerville area. when he was a teenager sometime between 1908 & 1914.

I was told by his nephew Jim Grammer that Jess Burke found the sheds in a cave located fairly close to the Beaverhead area and their ranch.

Jim Grammer also told me one set of antlers was donated to U of A and the other to the Smithsonian. I realize this information does not quite match that of relative Bob Brown for some reason.

2 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

I was told by his nephew Jim Grammer that Jess Burke found the sheds in a cave located fairly close to the Beaverhead area and their ranch.

I used the info that was included in Jim Heffelfinger's article, which he linked to on the first page of this thread.