Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

Baiting Javelina

Baiting would work, but it's not needed. A javelina herd actually has a small home range, and once you find its feeding and bedding areas you should be able to figure where to look for it at any given time of day. Find a high place in their home range and scour the terrain around you with your binoculars and/or spotting scope.

Javelinas have an excellent sense of smell, and there is nothing wrong with their ears, but their eyesight is notoriously poor. If you get downwind and move slowly and quietly, it is not difficult to stalk into bow range of a feeding or bedded herd.

Before it became illegal (and before we realized we also were attracting and feeding pack rats), we used potatoes to lure javelinas to our home in Tucson so we could watch them. Others in our neighborhood used dry dog food. Our little herd never came around in daylight, though. Javelinas love pumpkins, as everyone in our area who puts out jack-o'-lanterns for Halloween soon learns.

Javelinas will eat corn, too.

Bill Quimby

I agree with Bill. Yes, it is currently legal to bait Javi's but I personally think that would take a lot of the fun out of it. I saw a video a while back, maybe someone could post a link to it, of a deer hunter in Texas sitting next to a corn feeding station, literally sneak up and kick a Javelina on the corn.

Spot and stalk Javelina hunting is a blast, and it's also a really great way to develope hunting skills.

Howevery you choose to do it, good luck to you.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=fPkkAT9f0hk

Here is the link, I'm sorry for that pig but this is actually pretty funny, had never watched this video before. Happy laughs guys

• Like 2

Very cruel no wild animal deserves that kind of treatment. If your going to set up feeders to practice your kicks please stay out of our state. I hope this guy has a unsuccessful year and many more to come

Baiting them is legal for now...I am hearing that there is a AZGFD meeting to ram the bait ban down our throats this month... get involved and protect freedom of choice for all hunters, Please.

Did anything ever come about as far as a bait ban for javelina???

It is called hunting for a reason, not baiting and waiting. The hunters mid west and back east are all jokes. Get out there and kick some sticks, enjoy the great outdoors. Do it the old school way, get out of your vehicle, get your fat a$$ off your OHV's and hike, hike and hike. This country is getting lazier and fatter each day.

• Like 5

Shooter, please hunt the way you choose to hunt and by all means enjoy yourself and your family in the great outdoors. To talk down to someone who chooses to do things differently is very small minded of you.

• Like 7