Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

Baiting Javelina

I wouldn't describe myself as fat or lazy... But you're welcome to your opinions. Short season, HAM tag, and lots of potential for hunter pressure where I have been seeing them during deer hunts. I'd like to keep them coming by consistently- and it's more than a mile from the truck over two ridges... so don't worry shooter mcgavin- I'm getting my exercise. If I can't bait- it's fine, I'll just have to roll the dice that they'll keep the same travel pattern. Like gotcoues said, it's all hunting but can be done differently for every person. Does anybody know the specific A.R.S???

R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition
4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:
a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or
b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.
5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.
6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:
a. Water.
b. Salt.
c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.
d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

What is "bait"?

For the purposes of R12-4-303(A)(4), the Commission considers bait to include any food-stuff or ingestible material (such as corn or wildlife feed) that has been deposited, scattered or piled, or delivered by a passive or active feeder or feed delivery system, so as to constitute an attractant, lure or enticement to wildlife and to influence the movement of these animals for the purpose of harvest by hunters. "Bait" does not include: water, salt, salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry; nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations; decoys, scent lures (provided they do not contain cervid urine), or chemical attractants provided they are not ingestible; or food plots planted within accepted local or regional agricultural guidelines. The restrictions on baiting would not apply to practices that provide essential necessities for wildlife, such as water or salt licks and supplements developed for livestock operations. Greater availability of natural resources, including water and salt, actually promotes broader distribution of wildlife and healthier populations.

Thanks kazpilot... I have read that a million times and didn't realize javelina count as big game in AZ. Thanks again everyone for the update!

It is called hunting for a reason, not baiting and waiting. The hunters mid west and back east are all jokes. Get out there and kick some sticks, enjoy the great outdoors. Do it the old school way, get out of your vehicle, get your fat a$$ off your OHV's and hike, hike and hike. This country is getting lazier and fatter each day.

People have been baiting game since biblical times. So the "old school way" you speak of is a dream.

• Like 4

It is called hunting for a reason, not baiting and waiting. The hunters mid west and back east are all jokes. Get out there and kick some sticks, enjoy the great outdoors. Do it the old school way, get out of your vehicle, get your fat a$$ off your OHV's and hike, hike and hike. This country is getting lazier and fatter each day.

People have been baiting game since biblical times. So the "old school way" you speak of is a dream.

You make me laugh......but I am assuming you are talking about how Eve lured (baited) Adam with the apple or is that how Noah got all the animals on the Ark.

I was thinking of making a recording of the trash can being rolled out to the street. They seem to find it right away. You could also try empty pizza boxes, it seems to be a favorite of the herd in my neighborhood. :D

I just love the 'lazy baiter' talk. Maybe true back east where people hunt 40 acre woodlots but there's nothing easy about hauling 60-80 lb. Loads of feed salt or whatever through the desert on your back. I tried it one year a couple years back and had to give it up because I'm too lazy to bait and didn't have time to keep fresh feed out there.

Besides, bairing only works in an area that already has animals moving through which means you have to put in some work to find a good spot before you do anything else. I've yet to find a good source of magical corn that makes deer appear out of thin air.

/>Nothing works better then Pumpkins.

Cantalope and watermelon! ;) and nice gutpile works wonders also- if yotes dont hit first.. yes stink pigs are omnivorous thats why them dove guts disapear so quik by the washes. them were the days! ok gotta get back to glassin stupid donkeys that areeating up all the landscape.. :(

Nothing works better then Pumpkins.

and....

Cantalope and watermelon! ;)

All of the above are illegal.

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or

Nothing works better then Pumpkins.

and....

Cantalope and watermelon! ;)

All of the above are illegal.

So is going 40mph in a 35mph zone...

• Like 1

Baiting Javi that's to bad.

They are much more fun to glass up and stalk into the herd and try and stick em with an arrow, then when you miss or your buddy does just start screaming on thee old J-13 for a chance at another shot on pigs with an attitude.

Live Action:-)

• Like 1

Am I wrong in that?: you are able to bait, just so long as it is removed 2 weeks prior to the hunt start?

Not sure where you got the "two weeks"??? This new law has created even more grey areas as far as enforcement goes. That is a very good question, as how long do you have to wait to hunt a area that was baited? Is it once the bait has been removed? Is there an actual time frame? Or is this up to the discretion of each individual officer? Here are some scenarios that fall in the grey area:

1.) You want to sit a tree stand on a water hole, but another hunter had put out a nutritional supplement that was "not intended for livestock use" the previous year. You can't see any of the supplement left, but the deer continue to lick and sniff the area where the supplement was placed. Can you hunt there?

2.). You show up to your tree stand on opening morning, and find that some one has dumped a pile of corn in front of your stand. Can you remove the corn, or is this area illegal to hunt now? And if you remove the corn, how long do you have to wait to hunt?

3.). You are scouting an area to hang a tree stand when you find several illegal piles of corn on the ground. The area has a ton of sign and your trail cameras show some big bucks. After reporting the illegal piles of corn to the local game warden, how far away from the illegal corn piles do you have to go to be legal to hunt the area? 100'? 100 yds? 1/4 mile? Or just out of sight?

The new regulations are vary vague ...