Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

To flute or not to flute

post-12761-0-82601900-1438900775_thumb.jpg

Last week I just bought this 700 Remington long range 300 win mag, with a Bell and Carlson stock. I'm developing a load with 210 grain Bergers VLDs and I'm going to flute the bolt, put on a muzzle brake, and was thinking about fluting the barrel. It's a 9 pound gun and I don't mind hiking with the weight, but if it's not a big deal to flute and take a little weight off without losing accuracy then I'll do that. Should I flute? Pros and cons? Best place to machine it? And how much to flute a bolt, barrel and muzzle brake?

If you currenlty have a load developed for that barrel the load will completely change. When you do anything different to the gun you change the harmonics and therefore the point of impact can and usually does change. Even adding the brake can change how your current load works. I wait to develope loads until my guns are done.

If it shoots well I would recommend leaving the barrel alone. If you really want a fluted barrel I would recommend buying a brux match grade barrel and having it installed.

Adam

• Like 6

I wouldn't mess with it. It's good looking gun as is and 9 pounds sans scope is just about perfect for a long range rig. Besides even with a brake you are going to want all the weight you can with that caliber and bullet weight.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mess with it. It's good looking gun as is and 9 pounds sans scope is just about perfect for a long range rig. Besides even with a brake you are going to want all the weight you can with that caliber and bullet weight.

100% agree!

I would not waste the money fluting a factory barrel. If you really want one, order a Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek or Kreiger barrel and get it fluted and installed.

Not sure what the contour is on the factory barrel, but you need a pretty heavy contour to flute correctly.

• Like 1

Ok leave the barrel alone. I haven't developed a load yet. So where would be a good place to get a muzzle break and what is the cost? Do I also need to wait and flute the bolt before I develop a load? I want to flute the bolt only because it looks cool :)

• Like 1

Twistedbarrel.com

What's the wait time usually?

Plan on $200 - $250 for an installed brake. I've seen them for higher and lower, but that seems to be a good average. A lot depends on the brand of brake you go with. Most any gunsmith can put a brake on for you, where a really good gunsmith comes into play is how well they blend the brake into the barrel. I've seen some that are so good that you can't tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins. It literally looks like one solid piece. On the other hand, I've seen some that look like some amateur duct taped a hunk of metal onto the end of the barrel. I have a really good gunsmith in Chandler, if that is in your area.

• Like 2

I have installed muzzle brakes on two rifles and had Accuracy Speaks do both of them. They are out at Rio Salado shooting range. You cannot see the line on either of my barrels and I don't think I paid over $200 for either of them. They do great work.

• Like 1