bigorange

Youth hunts vs regular hunts

Youth deer hunt schedules don't work for our family this year...I think I know the answer but wondering if any other input or issues I'm not considering on putting kids in for regular hunts vs youth hunts. I know the advantages of earlier hunts (at least the Oct hunt) and fewer tags, but also seems potentially more competitive draw. Also would miss the opportunity for youth camp which we really enjoyed last year.

Either way I have to put my kids in for regular hunts this year...

General season tags cost more for kids.

• Like 1

That's it: lower cost, favorable dates (if you like heat), lower tag numbers, either species.

• Like 1

Cheaper, any antlered deer, and 1st chance in the woods, before the massacre

• Like 2

I always put my kids in for general hunts too. The youth draws are way more competitive than they used to be, and a lot of general hunts have better draw odds now.

• Like 1

I put my boy in for youth deer because I hoping to get the tag for same unit same week as the youth elk tag he already has otherwise a point will be fine with us

For my boys I usually put a jr hunt first choice with a general hunt as second choice. They have drawn 2 jr hunts and we picked up two general leftover tags in the last 4 years.

General hunts for Taylor....2 tag soups (1 bull elk tag, 1 Gen mule deer tag), and these in the last 4 years. Go general hunts. I don't regret the added pressure we deal with one bit.

023_zps5e240b9a.jpg

20141130_103346_zps8b70dd2a.jpg

20161015_075527_zpsf1n6cjsw.jpg

20161119_084926_zpsmldhmft7.jpg

• Like 3

I put my kids in for general hunts here in NM. The reason is cost is the same, better odds to draw in the general hunt, the JR hunts have way worse draw odds due to less tags and higher numbers of youth. If they don't draw the NMG&F offers youth encouragement hunts ( cow elk ) that are first come first serve, I have not had any problem buying them a tag.

Can Talyor look anymore confident, Lance???

I have never put my daughter in for a youth elk hunt for the exact reason Lance and others have said. We've been blessed with three straight years of deer tags, but I have a feeling that will change soon and we'll go to the general deer hunts, again for the exact same reason. Better draw odds, which means better chances of keeping them interested. I've had several parents tell me before that their kids have lost interest in hunting because they haven't gotten drawn for the youth elk tags for four to five years straight. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

• Like 2

I normally put my daughter in for the Jr hunts first and second choice. General hunts thereafter. It's always a crap shoot, but the last five years has been more than rewarding. Just watch out for snakes and the heat, as it will limit animal movement. Best of luck in the draw.

She also drew a Raymond ranch cow buffalo tag with 3 points and shot an 82 inch goat a couple years ago too. Keeping me on my toes for sure.

post-1839-0-90708800-1496901439_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-55434200-1496901503_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-74673500-1496901557_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-41826600-1496901616_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-83057900-1496901956_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-29333300-1496902026_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-88307700-1496902210_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7