257 STW

6.5 prc seating 156 eol problem

I have Hornaday dyes and trying to seat the 156 eol with out damage its not working is there a different seating stem i should be using or a different dyes? Hornaday was no help they told me there dyes are for there bullets only they don't  give information for other brands. 

I swapped my seating stem back and forth between my Hornady 6.5PRC and 6.5CM dies.  I have one that fits the 156 EOL, 140 Hyb, 144 LR Hyb, and 130 OTM perfectly.

Did you check the die box for another seating stem?  They usually come with two.  Under the piece of grey foam, top right corner of the die box.

• Like 1

I swapped the seating stem out with the other one in the box, it is leaving a ring aroun bullet about a half inch down the bullet , i don't know if its enough  to effect the performance but thats always gonna be in the back of my mind while building a load for this rifle so i figure instead of wasting time and money i would just hold off until i can find correct seating stem or the proper seating dyes

Do the stems have a part # on them?  I can pull mine apart and get you the # if so.

Also, maybe lessen neck tension a bit, and chamfer the inside of the neck with a VLD chamfer tool to help seat a bit easier.

53 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Hornady reloading components suck asss.

If it's for a 6.5 PRC, Hornady is about the only option for dies right now. Unless you want to take a second out on your house, and buy a set of Reddings on GB or Ebay.

11 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

If it's for a 6.5 PRC, Hornady is about the only option for dies right now. Unless you want to take a second out on your house, and buy a set of Reddings on GB or Ebay.

Worth it.

The Hornady 7 LRM dies I had were garbage. Bought Redding for my 28 Nosler, 100x worth the money.

Following. I will be seating Berger 140's with Hornady die.

Something I started doing a few years ago  is bedding my seating stems with epoxy. Just make sure the 156 EOL has plenty of releasing agent and work it into the epoxy filled stem until it self-aligns and let it cure. Even though it will be customized for the 156 it can still be used for other pills as well. No more jacket scaring.

6 hours ago, Lucafu1 said:

What you all think about RCBS dies?

They are capable of loading up some quality ammo! Don't think any Bench rest shooters use them, but for hunting ammo they will work. One of the things said about any full length size die is that dragging the case mouth over the expander plug throws the case mouth out of round. One of the things you can do is to chuck up your stem in a drill and put that expander plug on a sharpening stone, it will take a little off and not cause too much drag, and clean your dies before you use them and periodically after. This is on one of Tubbs videos that he made with Sierra bullets.

• Like 1