Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Need glassing gear advice

3 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Glaucoma "medicine" is over the counter now... lol

I can't smoke it. It throws me into afib.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Are you gonna pack a spotter?

Will you stand to glass or sit?

The slick carbon 634 is a good tripod and you can get carbon extensions to make it a bit taller. the benro S2 is a good tripod head for the money.  The vangaurd ph111 is a good head too but a tad heavier.

For glass meopta 12s are good and hold there value well and you can easily sell them to upgrade to the swaro later.  If you are not gonna pack a spotter then consider the swaro 12s.

27 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Are you gonna pack a spotter?

Will you stand to glass or sit?

The slick carbon 634 is a good tripod and you can get carbon extensions to make it a bit taller. the benro S2 is a good tripod head for the money.  The vangaurd ph111 is a good head too but a tad heavier.

For glass meopta 12s are good and hold there value well and you can easily sell them to upgrade to the swaro later.  If you are not gonna pack a spotter then consider the swaro 12s.

Probably no on the spotter

In that case it might be a good idea to go with your 10s for quick scanning and get 15s or even 18s for your main glass.

• Like 2

In my opinion, it depends on what you are using your glass for.  If it’s simply to find animals and determine if it’s a buck or bull, then 10’s will do just fine.  If you are looking for more details on size, and want to avoid long stalks on animals that don’t meet your size requirements, the extra weight of bigger glass (small spotter or 12/15’s) will likely be worth the weight compared to the  extra miles covered by foot unnecessarily.  JMHO.

• Like 3

The slik CF 634 is on sale right now, never seen it that cheap. 

https://sandsarchery.com/products/slik-pro-cf-634-carbon-fiber-hunting-tripod 

Type in code Rokslide you might get more off at check out. Not sure 

Edit: that's the 624 not the 634 fyi, they also have the sirui va5 tripod head which is another good option

I share the same opinion as Millhouse above. I carry Meopta 10s in a chest harness and they shine on weight and are used for 90% of my glassing, all on a tripod unless I'm still hunting. 

I also have Meopta 15s and they make the pack any time I expect having to pick out bedded animals or glass a mile away.

Quality 10s will decipher mature animals from not. Adding 15s help but I would never leave the truck without my 10s. I leave my 15s behind more than I like to admit. 

Finally, 12s and a spotter has become very appealing to me after having a trophy hunt and digiscoping and documenting animals, though I can't bring myself to sell my 10s to make that happen. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

The slik CF 634 is on sale right now, never seen it that cheap. 

https://sandsarchery.com/products/slik-pro-cf-634-carbon-fiber-hunting-tripod 

Type in code Rokslide you might get more off at check out. Not sure

Thanks I just ordered it and yes, the code worked. I got it for $188 shipped.  I’m guessing that’s a good price.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Just keep in mind that's more of a sitting tripod.  I don't like sitting on the ground to glass so I pack the REI trail stool with a small inflatable glassing pad. It should be perfect for that.

• Like 1

I have 10x42 EL's and had Outdoorsmans install a tripod adapter. They are the most magnification I can hold without shaking. On a tripod I can glass pretty well out to 1200 yards or more and was able to see the horns one a ram at 1600 yards last year.

I picked up a pair of 12x50 Diamondbacks last year from a fellow CWT Member to leave in the truck. One thing I also was the smaller FOV compared to 10's.

• Like 1

For tripod head, I have a benro s2 and it’s good. My buddy just bought a Sirui va5 and I like it quite a bit more then mine. And I think it’s a little lighter too

• Like 1

I agree 100% with all the comments on Meoptas. I use Swaros now but I still have my Meopta 15's (Cabelas Euros). They served me well. I probably won't ever get rid of them. 

All I used was 10's on a tripod for a long time. I found plenty of deer with them. It wasn't until I started guiding that I really needed 15's and a spotter. I hiked a lot more when I used 10's... lol 

For a pack in hunt, 10's or 12's would be fine. I would add a small spotter but that's just me. I have a Vortex Razor 11-33×50 with the straight eye piece that weights nothing that I'll carry if I'm heading into some nasty stuff. I'm not a Vortex fan but that little spotter is perfect if you're concerned about weight. 

If you don't have them already, get you some good Trekking poles. They're a game changer when you're packing out meat. 

• Like 1