My first rifle (308) was givin to me by a GF officer for getting my first deer tag at 10yo. Shot many animal with it over the years, but at 18 I decided to buy a 7mm mag because I wanted a little more umph than my 308 had. 

My first rifle was a Remington 721 chambered in .270 gifted to me by my Grandpa Haskell. He bought it after he came home from the war after to upgrade from .300 Savage for elk hunting. He never did kill an elk with it. But at 14 I was able to fulfill that dream on his behalf. After refinishing the delaminated stock I took my first animal with it, a fat cow elk.

The first rifle I ever bought was a Remington 700 BDL in .300 Win Mag. I bought it in college and figured with that rifle I could hunt any animal in North America. Still haven't killed an elk with it but I did use it on my 2019 Shiras hunt.

I am currently working on my first build in .25 SST. I am hoping that for my crew that one is the round that does it all, from pigs to elk.

Savage model 99C lever gun in 1972. Thumb safety made it good for us southpaw’s. Killed my first deer with it. Topped it with Redfield 2x7 Accutrack. Love that gun.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, 10Turkeys said:

I think ol Jack would have steered you into a model 70 though.

The Ruger part (instead of Win 70) was because Butch said so.

My 1st deer rifle was a Remington model 742 chambered in 30-06 Springfield...It was a  Christmas gift from my parents given to me way back in 1970...That gun was a close copy to my father's own Remington model 740 which he got from Mom as a Christmas gift in 1968...over the years that model 742 has taken many game animals from rabbits to elk... Now while that rifle mostly sits in the safe, alongside my father's model 740, it does occasionally get carried in the woods depending upon what's being hunted......

• Like 1

First gun was a browning a bolt in 30-06 had a ziess 3x9 on top never did shoot an animal with it .then we moved here and everyone said you need a gun with more punch for elk so I sold it for a 300 win ruger m77 stainless and have a vx3 on top. I've shot elk and pigs with it .its a bit much for javalina at 10 feet but was worthwhile to pull the trigger and see the pig fly about 3 feet and land in the brush all dressed out with 1 shot .😁

• Like 1