Sign in to follow this  
Browning'sCustomMeat

Team Browning - Father & Son - Rifle Antelope

Well me and my friend Dennis loaded up and took off on the 3rd (last Wednesday). We started glassing the moment we hit the unit I was hunting. The rain was coming down and we unloaded the Rhino and headed east to a great hill to sit and glass. On the way there we happened to see a small buck (I forgot to take my camera with). Didn't see to many out there so we headed north towards the sunshine. We found a ridge to camp on and started glassing again and seen a few more bucks. Here is the sunset looking towards Heber.

post-2235-1221149851_thumb.jpg

So we got up about 4:30am, made coffee, ate breakfast and started glassing as soon as there was enough light to see. We see this guy several hundred yards away with 16 does. We called him "Sluff" seeing that he sluffed off on his right side, broke and had no cutter.

post-2235-1221151516_thumb.jpg

This buck we named "Hi-Low" with one side a little longer than the other......

post-2235-1221152105_thumb.jpg

And this one is "Mr. Heartbreaker" Just a beautiful buck that I could not find on opening morning......

post-2235-1221152260_thumb.jpg

And so opening morning is here and we are off.....I headed one way and my dad went another. We found my buck around 8:30 in the morning. He was feeding away from us and so we took off around and got to a high point to find out where he was heading. We spotted him close to 900yds away, so I decided to get after it. I walked down the fence line and started crawling (thank god for knee-pads) keeping him where I could see him. He found himself a doe and she crawled under the fence to join him and they headed off feeding together. They fed on the backside of a little knob to where I lost sight of them, so I jumped the fence and hurried to the ridge they went behind. As I was reaching the top I started crawling...again, up to the top and took a seat on my foot, picked up my binos and glassed to see which way they had went. While I was sitting there and heard..."pffft......pfffft", I look over my right shoulder and see a doe 40yds away from me and the buck right behind her, they had fed right around this knob, right up behind me!!! So I slowly turn back around and take the safety off, take a deep breath and slowly swing back around to the buck, I pulled up and the doe just put her head down turned and started feeding again, so the was the buck quartering to me, put the cross-hairs on him and BANG!! A 50yrd shot on my first antelope. Simply amazing! :rolleyes: Waited 14yrs to hunt 6 hours!!! :blink: :lol: He has 6-1/2"+ bases close to 15" long on both sides, 5" cutters and is 1-1/2" from touching at the tips!

post-2235-1221153180_thumb.jpgpost-2235-1221153344_thumb.jpg

And, so my father(Buzzbait) went out opening morning and had to deal with several other hunters in the area so he decided to head out before it got too clustered. We spotted his buck around 4:00 in the afternoon and took him out to get him on it. We watched him stalk this guy until about 5:30 or so to where he took him at 350yds.

post-2235-1221153765_thumb.jpg

It was a great time with beautiful weather. I big thanks to my father and to Dennis for all the help. It made the 14 years of waiting well worth it!!

-Jeremy-

John & Jeremy,

Fantastic job on the goats! Especially sweet that you both were able to get them on the same day & spend some quality time together! Again Congrats! Jed

Sweet deal! Nice buck and just think about all the time you can spend with friends and family now that you got your speedgoat so early.

Nice job man! I think it was definetly worth the wait. I'm at 17bp's myself & hoping I get my chance SOON.

Congratulations Jeremy and to your Dad as well. Great story and pictures. I love that nick name of buzzbait :lol: :lol:

TJ