Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Deer staying bedded?

Out on the youth any antlered deer hunt in 22. First day we spent in white tail country. Switched to mule deer after that and so far almost every deer we’ve seen was bedded down. Seeing lots of does but no bucks yet. Anyone else running into bucks bedding before light and not coming out early enough to glass in the evening?  I feel like I should have glassed up plenty of bucks by now but it seems like they’re just tucking into their beds early. Good luck to anyone still out there!

Deer movement was slower this past weekend,  the bucks I saw laid down around 7  got up around 1 then laid back down until dark...does were moving. 

The grass is chest high and I was overlooking deer - good luck - we only had 2 days so it went quick

• Like 1

Thanks.  We started out where grass was so tall so I moved to where the grass isn’t unite so tall and it’s easier to glass. Seeing lots of does every day but already bedded. Just waiting for a bedded deer to have antlers now

11 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Contrary to these coues deer hunting charlatans, mature desert mule deer are much smarter and harder to find. Especially in the central AZ units 

🤥

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Why I added central az. We all know you got great deer hunting down on that private land 

High fence keeps em active. 

Very similar movement over the past weekend. Super hot. They did align fairly consistent to the moon phase calendar. Grass height is a factor this year. Several glassed up deer were shorter than the grass they were in. Made it difficult. 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:11 PM, trphyhntr said:

Contrary to these coues deer hunting charlatans, mature desert mule deer are much smarter and harder to find. Especially in the central AZ units 

I ask people all the time who call Mulies carp due to there being "easy" to hunt, how many mature or trophy mule deer have they killed. Zero!   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BeardownAZ said:

I ask people all the time who call Mulies carp due to there being "easy" to hunt, how many mature or trophy mule deer have they killed. Zero!   

Creed_88 did. Now he thinks carp are easy. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Creed_88 did. Now he thinks carp are 

10 hours ago, BeardownAZ said:

Carp aren't easy to catch for one, and mule deer aren't called carp because they're easier to kill. They're called carp cuz they're less desirable, and also because here in az they tend to be bottom feeders.     Why you mule deer hunters on a coues deer site picking fights you can't win anyways.    Shouldn't you guys be out spot lighting hay fields or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Creed_88 did. Now he thinks carp are easy. 

Mule deer are so easy, even you're gonna kill a big one this year. Mark my words. 

• Haha 1