Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

14 days of living with the Elk

I was lucky enough to draw a unit 1 bull tag this year, and what an expierience it was.

I arrived at camp on the Tuesday before the hunt started, and just got home today. I had a good friend come up and help me for the first 6 days. We were tangled up with a lot of bulls everyday. We called in several small bulls over the first couple of days but the herd bulls would not leave thier cows. On Sunday we were calling a bull and I started rakeing brush to get him going. I pulled a branch off of a snag laying on the ground and aparrently that was the front door to a hornet's nest and I was not invited to come in. I got stung about a dozen times as I ran away swatingand yelling. That bull was curious about all the noise and he still came up to investigate but he was not the one I was after. Finally I got got a shot at a good bull on Monday but I shot over him at 45 yards. Tuesday I had the same bull in range again but it got too dark before I got a clean shot. My buddy left on Wednesday so I had to change my strategy to trying to stalk in on them after I located them. My five year old son came up on the second weekend and together we snuck in on several herds of elk I got another shot with him by myside as we snuck in on a 350 bull. We cut him off as he was trying to catch up with his cows. I did not have time to range him cause he had us pegged and I misjudged the range and shot over his back too. My boy says "he was huge dad". I wanted so bad to get one with him there but it did'nt work out. After I miised we did get to see that bull fighting with another big bull, really cool stuff, but it was to dark to try and move in for another shot.

I went to bed Sunday night with a feeling that Monday was going to be the day for me. I got into them good in the morning but they went to bed before I could get in position. That afternoon they were slow getting started and I was feeling discouraged. I was heading back to my bike to change areas when a bugle lets out. I quickly cut the distance and find myself 40 yards from his cows. I am just below the ridge with him on top. I hear him start running around and screaming then I see a satelite bull that he ran off. The herd bull is on top still but this satelite bull is now 40 yards from me and walking right to me. He walks up to about 5 yards of me and looks right at me. I decide I am going to try and take him. I know if I draw my bow at this point he is going to run, but I figure he will stop within range and look back. So I draw and he bolts away and then stops at what I guessed was 40 yards. I let it fly and it goes in a little high of where I aim but still hits him good. He goes about 20 yards and hits the dirt, then he gets up and runs another 40 yards and piles up for good. He is not the big one I was looking for but I was starting to feel as if I was going to go home empty handed and I could not let that happen. He is my first Bull and I could not be happier. I was lucky that he died about 20 yards from a road and a couple of other hunter helped me load him up, but i was still up untill 1 am getting him skinned and quartered. It is a heck of job by yourself. I had the time of my life on this elk hunt and I am so happy I was sucessfull.

100_5147.jpg

100_5137.jpg

100_5150.jpg

Congratulations on your bull. Thanks for sharing and thanks for getting me excited about my Nov. tag. I'll be scouting the next two days and can't wait to hear them bugles. Nice story along with your pictures! :)

TJ

Nice looking pictures there, now that you got your first bull, you can set a size a goal for the next time (that is what I plan on doing).

Redman

The picture with your kids is great, they look excited for their dad! Congratulations!!!

Great job on your Bull. Hunting for that long and having all those close encounters makes any bull a trophy.

Congrats on a nice looking bull!! Great story really enjoyed the part of your son getting to experience the excitement of the hunt!

Congrats on a nice bull! Good to see the kids beamming with pride for their Pop. I too filled my tag as well.

Way to go,

Great job, awesome elk. ;) Good times are great with family and friends.