Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

More chevy mechanic questions

Figures. I just did new upper control arms, ball joints, tie rids, CV's, wheel bearings, and

Threw out a PO4030 code a few weeks ago but no drivability issues. Jump forward to today and it's running very rich. More condensation then you'd expect to see from the exhaust. Leves a puddle. Coolant is down  and engine oil is up. New oil and filter 200 miles ago. Runs smooth until in gear then acts like its going to stall. Cooling system does not build pressure. 

I think I know the answer, but throwing a hail Mary anyway. 

1996 k1500 350 vortec. 

• Sad 1

Yeah probably head gasket or cracked head. When your truck is gobbling up antifreeze and oil that can ruin your cat converter which is why you have that code.

Drain your oil and see if there is coolant in it.  It will look like chocolate milk if there is. There probably is since your coolant level is down and oil went up.  

Yeah thats what I figured. Vortex long blocks aren't as cheap as they used to be. It's always something. 

Yup blown head gasket or warped head! Did you get her hot?

2 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Yeah thats what I figured. Vortex long blocks aren't as cheap as they used to be. It's always something. 

You don't need a long block, just two heads and gaskets! Maybe just two head gaskets and get the heads milled down, if you're lucky.

1 hour ago, L Cazador said:

You don't need a long block, just two heads and gaskets! Maybe just two head gaskets and get the heads milled down, if you're lucky.

Possible. Never got hot. I would just hate to go through all that just to need to do a rebuild anyway. 

When you take the heads off you will need to remove intake and exhaust manifolds so gaskets for those is part of a head replacement or milling job. A good shop can help decide which way to go. About the only other way water is going to get into oil is through a cracked block. 

My 4runner did the same thing and it was a bad head bolt .caused the gasket to leak just a little and it would start and run like crap for a minute then be running like a champ .

Speaking of hail Marys...... If you are so inclined, you could give this a shot.

Might be time for an LS conversion.......

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:06 PM, ctafoya said:

Might be time for an LS conversion.......

I thought about that route but then I just put heads in mine and left the bottom end alone for now.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:08 AM, HyNoon said:

I thought about that route but then I just put heads in mine and left the bottom end alone for now.

Yeah I'm probably just gonna do the same. Picked up a new toy over the weekend I'll do something fun with.