Sign in to follow this  
eastvalleyjerry

2022 HAM Hunt

After a couple years of frustration bowhunting these things I decided to switch over to the pistol. Decided to sit a water hole the afternoon of opening day and after 4 hours of seeing nothing but cows coming in I backed out spotted 2 pigs heading in the direction of the truck. Snuck into about 20 yards, made a couple quick shots and finally tagged my first HAM hunt Javelina. This guy had to weigh over 50 pounds. Looking forward to making some chorizo and also wanted to check if anyone has any recommendations of good taxidermist in the Valley? Preferably somewhere in the Chandler/Tempe area. I have always wanted a good Javelina shoulder mount and I am still deciding if I want to do a mouth open or passive mount.

Pig 2.jpg

Pig.jpg

• Like 13

I think the closed mouth looks way better and more natural. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JSR said:

I think the closed mouth looks way better and more natural. 

I definitely like both of them. Might just have to plan on mounting another down the road so I can have both. The last image I have of this one alive was when it barked/charged me with its mouth open, so I might have to do this one like that.

• Like 4

I might be jaded because I have a bear rug that I asked the taxidermist to do closed mouth and when I picked it up the mouth was full open and it looks ridiculous. Fake teeth. The tongue looks like something out of a cartoon, etc. 

Im sure your taxidermist will do a better job. 

• Like 2

Javi's have such wicked teeth, I'd go with open mouth for sure.

Growing up, dad had a couple mounted open mouthed hanging on the wall. The stuff kids nightmares are made of.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JSR said:

I might be jaded because I have a bear rug that I asked the taxidermist to do closed mouth and when I picked it up the mouth was full open and it looks ridiculous. Fake teeth. The tongue looks like something out of a cartoon, etc. 

I worry about that look you are describing

Closed mouth Javelina mounts are a lot cheaper than open mouth.  Unfortunately the open mouth forms cost 3-4 times more than a regular closed mouth.

I used to hate open mouth, but have learned to really like them.

Here's a few that I've mounted.

20210702_183501.jpg

20200814_213457(1).jpg

20200814_213426(1).jpg

Resized_20210507_142601.jpeg

Resized_20210701_195611.jpeg

Resized_20210701_195650.jpeg

20210702_183449.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JSR said:

Same thing happened to me.  Every morning it would startle the he'll out of me. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, eastvalleyjerry said:

Got my Pig back from Big Browns last week and think it looks awesome. 

Pig Mount.jpg

Thank you!  I agree, it looks Awesome on the wall!!!