The charges to your account: 

Processing Fee: $70.00

Collar: $8.00

Box Fee: $35.00

Shipping Fee: $64.73

Total: $177.73

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Nvm $180 to get back 21lbs of filets is obscene 

I just try and wrap my head around Tuna fishing out of Cali and justifying the cost to me hasn't happened yet.  The trip, the processing, the shipping.  I want to try it out and figure out if I am missing something, but man, it ends up being over a grand and the haul is usually not all that great.  I do say tho, if I added up all the $$$ I spend on hunting trips, I would probably say the same thing.  I think Mexico has kind of spoiled me for cost per pound of fish brought back.  

• Thanks 1

Yeah I’ve tried to talk myself into it but the cost, plus being stuck on a boat for 36 hours with 40 Californians sounds like heck on earth. 

But I can’t relate to the hunting either, if I could afford hunting out of state I’d be spending that money on fish cleaning bills instead 

Sierra mackerel is excellent eating. The catch is you really need to eat it the same day you catch it. It does not keep or freeze well 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I know, I paid it LOL. I have done the processing at home on fish, just need time and space.  A good vacuum sealer or vacuum chamber is best.  Seems to be the flash freezing does preserve them longer and keeps good taste.  I have an upright freezer I can put fish on racks, to get air moving around to freeze, but never is fast enough.

I have brought tuna back in fish bags and eating sashimi for days off it. Then parted it out and froze.  I bought an Opah Fathom 5 deep a year or so ago, always bring on trips incase I decide to bring home fish to process ie tuna sashimi or so.

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m sitting here doing the math on my annual NM pronghorn hunt.  And I do my own butchering. lol

35 minutes ago, stanley said:

I’m sitting here doing the math on my annual NM pronghorn hunt.  And I do my own butchering. lol

Yeah, you gotta really like hunting and eating wild game meat to do that kind of stuff. for the money it costs. 

2 hours ago, n2horns said:

I know, I paid it LOL. I have done the processing at home on fish, just need time and space.  A good vacuum sealer or vacuum chamber is best.  Seems to be the flash freezing does preserve them longer and keeps good taste.  I have an upright freezer I can put fish on racks, to get air moving around to freeze, but never is fast enough.

I have brought tuna back in fish bags and eating sashimi for days off it. Then parted it out and froze.  I bought an Opah Fathom 5 deep a year or so ago, always bring on trips incase I decide to bring home fish to process ie tuna sashimi or so.

$20 ziploc vacuum and some food saver bags. I did my fish so fast this time. Cuz now I thaw it and trim it when I want to eat it 

it’s controversial and I’m sure everyone will disagree but I had commercial packed grouper from Minerva’s in cabo  and I can’t tell the difference. The Minerva’s fish smelled just as fast ziploc vacuum bag. 

Neither are any good imo after a short period of time. It’s all personal preference but I can’t eat it after it doesn’t taste pretty much perfect. 

my homie leaves it in a regular ziploc bag for months then unfreezes, yellowtail of all things. I know that fish is disgusting but to him it’s still good. Makes me want throw up thinking about it

I usually only eat sashimi after a week of it being caught and  immediately frozen

image.jpg

I think I'm gonna try chartering a 6 pack to try out Tuna fishing in Cali.  I've been on the cattle boats and I know that isn't for me.  

7 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I think I'm gonna try chartering a 6 pack to try out Tuna fishing in Cali.  I've been on the cattle boats and I know that isn't for me.  

gonna get addicted!!!!!!  6 pack on a 48-52 ft fisher is awesome.  Stick with overnight to 1.5 or 2.5 day trips.  The day trip for 12 hours IMO isnt worth it.  Kick in a few extra bucks and go at least overnight.  I have done quite a few 6 pack trips and have stuck with Coblat (Fishermans Landing) or Sauerfish (Point Loma Landing).  They have all the gear and food ready for you, just show up.

I'm partial to Sauerfish as they have beer included.  I just did an overnight on Cobalt and going in mid Sept.  First of Oct, going on Sauerfish again.

Let me know if you have questions. Andrew

• Like 1