Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

7mm Rem Mag Factory Ammo Recommendations

I currently shoot HSM 168 Berger VLD and am getting sub 2" groups at 300yds but they are explosive and don't get the penetration I like. Looking for suggestions.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

My 7mm never very accurate and I’m not a group shooter, but the groups with 162 eldx were awful. I shoot 150g ballistic silvertip. 

This a Remington 700 I bought in maybe 1992? THe first year they came out with a Stainless Composite and has always been about 3/4". I probably have 400's round through it. I put a Manners stock on it about three years ago but it is the wrong stock for the scope I had on it so I took it off and now it has a McMillan.

13 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

This a Remington 700 I bought in maybe 1992? THe first year they came out with a Stainless Composite and has always been about 3/4". I probably have 400's round through it. I put a Manners stock on it about three years ago but it is the wrong stock for the scope I had on it so I took it off and now it has a McMillan.

Mine is 1997 with a stock and trigger. I definitely shoot better with with the trigger but it doesn’t like those 162 eldx 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Mine is 1997 with a stock and trigger. I definitely shoot better with with the trigger but it doesn’t like those 162 eldx 

I have the original trigger in it. When I bought it I sent it off to Gander Mountain and had them put a muzzlr break on it and adjust the trigger to #3's. I have a Timney I am going to put in it. I bought a Z5 off of here maybe 4 years ago ago and I have a custom turret on it that is set up for the Nosler 168 ABLR. LRI FLuted the bolt abouyt five years ago. It's probably about as light as it's going to get at 8#'s empty.

It's pretty much on the money out to 400 yards which is the farthest I have shot it on paper. I usually take it to the range a week before a hunt and send one downrange at 100 and 200 yards to confirm nothing has changed. I'm on the hunt for some Nosler Tde Long Range 168 but everyone is out.

The Factory 162 ELD-X shot well out of my 700. I started reloading a handful of years back, kept the 162 ELD-X but started playing around with different loads and ended up shooting great for me.

A friend has a picky 7RM and it prefers the Federal Premium with 160 Nosler Accubond.  Tough to find now, but Nosler.com had some about a month ago.

Ammoseek.com shows 7RM with the 160 Trophy Bonded Tip available

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s some 7mm at sportsman’s in Mesa 

I'll swing past there in the morning. I was shooting pool at Mesa Billards this afternoon with my son and then went to Mr Shrimp for dinner. I like it when he drives this way I can have a few Dos Equis's.

• Like 1

Sportsmens has a ton  of 160 at their Goodyear  location, just the Bonded Trophy.  I like the Barnes Tsx in 160, but will probably swing to the  150 Trophy Copper due to a higher bc. And availabilty. If you move to copper bullets, be mindful of the copper fouling. Me and my hunting buddy have found the fouling to be much quicker than lead bullets and will put your accuracy in the toilet. . My Ruger 77 will typically put the second shot in the first hole  at 100 yds with the Barnes if I do my part.

38 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Sportsmens has a ton  of 160 at their Goodyear  location, just the Bonded Trophy.  I like the Barnes Tsx in 160, but will probably swing to the  150 Trophy Copper due to a higher bc. And availabilty. If you move to copper bullets, be mindful of the copper fouling. Me and my hunting buddy have found the fouling to be much quicker than lead bullets and will put your accuracy in the toilet. . My Ruger 77 will typically put the second shot in the first hole  at 100 yds with the Barnes if I do my part.

Copper? Lead? They're all gilded, just the ogive is different.