Sign in to follow this  
Redman

A/C Replacement?

Our A/C system in our house is 24 years old- still kicking but every day I wonder "if today is the day it goes out" 

It's a split system 3.5 / 3.0 ton (furnace is gas) - 

Any CWT members in the A/C business- located in East Mesa.  Shoot me a PM or reply 

Thanks Andy 

Replaced mine last November for the same reason….had  two breakdowns , always on a weekend when it was 115+.  Just got my APS bill for July, huge drop from last year at this time.  If you can make it, wait till the fall when things slow down, probably  get a price break.

• Like 4

High Country Comfort 

Mesa family that have been in the business for a long time and are avid hunters

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Replaced mine last November for the same reason….had  two breakdowns , always on a weekend when it was 115+.  Just got my APS bill for July, huge drop from last year at this time.  If you can make it, wait till the fall when things slow down, probabilities get a price break.

That is the rule. They have to break down on the weekend.

26 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

That is the rule. They have to break down on the weekend.

Both times when I was out of town and the wife was home.  Crisis? Oh Yeah!  

Comfort Experts is the one I recommend in the east valley. Tell them Harley from Steven's referred you if you call them. 

You are in a catch 22 situation though. Systems are going to go up 10-20% in the next 2-4 months because of the new 2023 higher efficiency requirements. 

The bad news is if you replace your system now, in 2025 they are changing refrigerants and R410a is going to be harder to get and more expensive as the years go on. 

I am in the AC wholesale business so I see alot of fun coming over the next few years that the regular joe doesn't see or know about. 

• Like 1

The bad news is if you replace your system now, in 2025 they are changing refrigerants and R410a is going to be harder to get andmore expensive as the years go on. 

As compared to R22?  LOL!   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

As compared to R22?  LOL!   

At least right now R22 has a viable drop in replacement that is about the same price as R410a. 

That said. 5 years ago or less R410a was $70/jug. Today it is $430/jug. 

Thanks everyone- oddly enough this morning I got an email from SRP that we used 25% more electricity last week than normal- last week was one of the coolest weeks of the summer and I wasn't even home... started poking around and one unit is froze up (thank goodness it's the smaller unit so most of the home is cool)- but it must have been running non-stop.. uh oh... couple of companies on the way -

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Redman said:

Thanks everyone- oddly enough this morning I got an email from SRP that we used 25% more electricity last week than normal- last week was one of the coolest weeks of the summer and I wasn't even home... started poking around and one unit is froze up (thank goodness it's the smaller unit so most of the home is cool)- but it must have been running non-stop.. uh oh... couple of companies on the way -

Hopefully it's just a low charge or clogged filter/dirty coil.

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Hopefully it's just a low charge or clogged filter/dirty coil.

It was low charge- the tech said he put over $1K in freon in (under home warranty)... the temp was 80 when I turned it back on and it's still 80 (3 hours later) something tells me it's not fixed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redman said:

It was low charge- the tech said he put over $1K in freon in (under home warranty)... the temp was 80 when I turned it back on and it's still 80 (3 hours later) something tells me it's not fixed.  

Why did he leave? DId you write hime a check?