Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

any one pig hunt

Alber aka couesstalker and i went out yesterday (sunday) for a day of huntin. the mornin weather was bad, windy, rainy, and cold.we glassed our buts off and took a short hike with glassin and neither the swarovskis or the docters could find game. after a dissappointing morning, we were driving out of the area to go to another area. on the way out, i made a spot just like Tucson John, 300 + - yards away, movin truck of what turned out to be a heard of 14 HUGE pigs. albert went up after them and got right behind the pigs had em at 40 yards just couldnt get a clear shot.

firstcoueswas80,

I got pretty well skunked yesterday. A couple of does with fawns on the east side of 36B. Drove down on 1 1/2 hours sleep, felt sick all day and finally called it quits at 3:00 pm. Hoping to get back out next weekend or for sure the following weekend. Where were you guys hunting?

couesdiehard

I head out for the HAM hunt in Feburary, unit 37 B. I guess I'll be hunting the "Coke Oven" side of the river, as that is the only place I have seen pigs

My buddy and I went down to 37b on Sat and Sun, he is new to bohunting and this is his second pig hunt. On Sat we went to a place that has produced many pigs for me and my dad in the past four years, my dad has the ham hunt. I think it is where the home ranges of two or more herds overlap. I also think pigs routinely walk the perimiter of their home ranges and mark with scat as sign (I could be way off on this but that seems to be what is happening) I have heard the average home range is approx 800 acres. I didn't do any scouting for this pig hunt being pre-occupied with the bucks and ducks, I was relying on past years expierences in the area to keep me in the right spot.

Well on Sat there were no pigs to be found but we found them on Sun afternoon. I glassed them feeding on roots on a small bench near the bottom of a steep ravine. Pretty thick down there so we could only see up to four at a time. I think there were five or six total. This would be a long stalk down a steep rocky mountain. Things were going good for most of the stalk. Wind in our favor, three hours of light left, and enough cover to keep us out of sight of the near sighted pigs.

We were getting close, at 50 yards they are still there, feeding away now, out of range for such a small target so we kept going. We circle in front of them to cut them off. If it works out right it will be about a 30 yard shot. The pigs had other plans, they turned left up another ravine and it got dark as we tried to cut them off again. We'll Be back down there this weekend.

got my first add last pig opening morning. at about 9:00am.i never in my life smelled anything so bad .thank god my hunting partner likes to eat these things.no more for me

I busted a large heard today, I was walking in thick brush (in Bueman Canyon (33)spelling?) then they all started running everywhere, startled me. Took a shot at one about 20 yds and must have missed, called and called but never could find them again, then the rain started.

Before this, I put a great stalk on a very nice buck, got within 50 yds, then a doe that I had not seen screamed at me. I almost stepped on her. The buck trotted away, called then the dang doe responded she came back within 10 yds of me? I have never had a doe responded to a buck call. Off again tomorrow hopefully the weather is better.

Redman

I went to 36C and A yesterday and what a $hitty day to be out! Never saw any pigs and only 2 does. 20-30 mile winds COLD rain. Hope the weather gets better by this weekend.

Oh I did here of a dead pig! Another hunter said he saw one being eaten by 6-8 dogs! Not coyotes dogs!

:unsure:

I went out on the first and got into one herd right off the bat. The wind changed in mid stalk and they won. I found another herd about an hour later and stalked to within 40 yards. I waited for a shot and it finally presented itself. I nailed him quartering away and he went about 50 feet and fell over dead.

After taking care of him, I went varmint calling and killed a couple dogs(coyotes).

It was a pretty awesome weekend! Good luck to everyone going back out!

hunted a small heard today took my 11th pig.scale said she was 66 pounds,what an awsome day 2 out of 4 so far.@ 2 weeks ago went 3 out of 4 on coues the last 3 weeks has been great. now back to coues hunting mike

I finally got out on Thursday, with no luck. Headed to 37B. Spots that held a ton of sign last year were pretty skimpy this year. Some spots I couldn't get to with my 2WD. Well, let me re-phrase.. some spots I didn't try to get to, with my 2WD. Hunted along Freeman, hunted west side of the river over by Dudleyville, hunted some washes along 79. Didn't find any signs of herds. Tracks always seemed to be onesies and twosies. I did pick up 2 sheds. A pretty good Coues shed (I think) and a small fork mulie shed.

Hope to get out on Saturday for a bit, but not sure where I am going...

Finally arrowed a sow yesterday. I had shot and missed at three different pigs prior to this one.

We ran into three differnt groups this hunt. Watch out for the heard in Bueman Canyon and the Bellota Ranch area, they can dodge arrows, one pig in 37B can also dodge an arrow. ;)

Redman

Last Thursday (Jan 6) my brother and I went out in 33. We glassed up 4 pigs at about 500 yards away that fed into a mesquite thicket. We got the wind right and were able to sneek within 20 yards of the edge of the thicket. We could see the pigs feeding around but were unable to get any shots. After 45 minutes to an hour of waiting for them to come out my brother decided to sneek around to the other side of the thicket. He got over there and the pigs were feeding along that edge. He took a shot that went just a couple of inches high and the pigs came running at me. One stopped 31 yards away and I nailed it. She only went 20 or 25 yards. This was the first animal that I have even shot at with my bow. It was really exciting and I am definitely hooked on archery hunting.

that was whole pig before opening her up.she also has a skull that scored 14 4 /16.I hunt an area that pigs never get hunted in.over 10 years @ never seen another hunter.the 3rd az book pig in 5 years. you got to love them for archery. mike

I shot this one on the 16th in unit 20c at 28 yards using a PSE Primos. I used an expandable this year called a Snyper, it works great. I found this herd of pigs a week earlier, but was just glassing and didn't have my bow with me. I tried calling, but called in a fox instead. I messed aroung with him for about ten minutes and then had a bobcat come out and chase the fox. After he chased the fox for about 10 yards it turned and came right up the hill to my position. I tried throwing a rock at it when it was at 10 yards, but it just kept coming. I then jumped up and yelled and that made it stop at about ten feet. That cat just stood there and stared at me wiggling its tail. I am going to go back up there and try to get it another day. Hopefully my picture of the pig shows up in my post.

post-561-1106671613.jpg