Joe Kauffman

Garrett's first buck!

Congrats Garret!!!! There have been so many great stories on here in the last few days and I have to say this was my favorite.

Agreed.

Great job

WOW way to go kido. I knew you would do it this year. You got that javi under your belt and now the deer. I bet we see photos of you every year now. Good job to you to Joe for passing it on.

Jade.

After all your hard work last year, you are more than deserving of this! Congrats!

WYD

That is a real good story and picture. A big congratulations to Garrett and Dad. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! He spent a bit of time last night reading them all after completing his homework and I can tell it really touched him. He'll try and reply tonight after his sisters riding lessons but I wanted to extend his thanks to everyone in the mean time.

Joe

Good shooting Garrett. Nice looking deer you got. That is a great accomplishment.

Redman

Congrats Joe and Garrett!!!!!

My son Garrett drew a 20A juniors deer tag this year and was excited to get the chance to finally hunt deer in the pines. Opening morning we hunted a spot that I had taken a small buck in several years ago and I knew we'd be able to locate some smaller bucks. This area was definitely a quantity over quality spot but Garrett was just excited to get his first deer and wasn't very concerned about the size. We weren't disappointed as 30 minutes after daylight Garrett had his first opportunity with a tall spike at 70 yards. I could tell he was debating on whether to take the shot and I told him it was completely his decision and I'd be happy with whatever he chose...to my surprise he said since it was opening morning he'd pass on this buck in hopes of a larger one.

The rest of the day consisted of a couple small bucks just out of range and plenty of does so we decided to head to another spot the next morning in hopes of locating a quality buck. We knew it would be a tough day when we awoke to gusty wind and a cold front that had moved in during the night so we changed our game plan and focused on the canyons and thicker vegetation. After beating through the brush for most of the day and only jumping a few doe we headed back to camp for a warm dinner and some shut eye.

The next morning (Sunday) was more of the same with plenty of wind and even colder weather. It proved to be just as unproductive as the day before so we headed home with some great memories and my son wondering if he should have taken the spike opening morning.

The following weekend was his birthday and he had decided on a friends camping trip instead of a birthday party. His hunt lasted through the next Sunday so we decided to camp in his unit where he might be able to introduce a couple of his friends to the wonders of hunting. Saturday afternoon Garrett, his 2 friends, my daughter and I headed out to glass an old burn that we had seen a few bucks in the previous weekend. After about an hour hike we were roughly 1.3 miles in and were setup to glass the burn for the evening. Luckily I had brought a few pairs of binoculars so everyone was able to glass.

I had just finished glassing a brushy ridge that leads to the burn when my 6 year old daughter said "Daddy, there's deer over there!". I was pretty shocked since the deer were on the ridge I had just finished glassing! Kudos to my daughter for following up on dad's glassing abilities! After spotting the 2 deer we could see that one was a 2x3 and the other a small fork horn and Garrett decided he wanted to pursue the larger buck. I sat the boys and my daughter on a spot where they could watch us and Garrett and I began the stalk.

After about 100 yards of hiking they were still about 200 yards through the trees when one of the bucks spotted me. I told Garrett I'd hold back and to finish the stalk on his own so they'd focus their attention on me. He said "No problem dad, I can do this!" It was to be his first opportunity to stalk and shoot on his own. I watched as he picked his way through the thick brush, keeping plenty of cover between him and the deer until he was about 100 yards from them. My heart leapt as I saw him pull up the gun and take a shot. The larger of the 2 bucks dropped in his tracks as he made a perfect heart and lung shot.

His friends and my daughter ran down to me and we quickly proceeded down to Garrett where I could see a small tear in his eye. "I did it dad! And on my birthday with my friends, sister and you with me!" Mom was about 15 minutes away and was waiting by the truck when we got the deer out.

His ability, patience and courage never cease to amaze me. He's grown into a very respectful and ethical young man and I consider myself lucky to have such a great son. His 2 friends that were along were amazed at the bonding, work and excitement hunting can bring to a family and are now interested in getting out and experiencing it for themselves.

Here's a picture of proud hunter with his first buck.

Way to go Garrett! What more can a person say! I know when I met Garrett I was IMPRESSED at what a skilled hunter he was at such a young age!

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh thanks you guys! Man, I had both of my best friends with me and my sister so they got to see me shoot it :lol:! Man that was a nice buck, we hunted 2 weeks and nothing, so to get it like three hours before my birth time it meant a lot to me :ph34r: :blink:

Hey Garrett Good to see you on the site bud. Once again congrats to you on a great buck. Keep on learning all you can from your Dad. He has taught you well already but all you learn from him will make you a better hunter and then you can pass it on down someday. :P