Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

18 sleeps left...

Guest akaspecials

My knees are creaking and my shooting shoulder is going out. 

I'm pushing selfishness to it's limit and I'm starting to question my own sanity as I mumble to myself pretty regularly at this point.  

But, my back is somehow holding up and I've been able to crank out 12-15 mile days regularly. 

I have the most understanding wife in the world and I've never felt more free having spent at least one day a week in the wilderness since draw results came out. 

The larger ram officially made the archery hit list this morning. 

18 sleeps left till go time....

Good luck to all the other tag holders out there!

The video zooms in around 15 seconds. 

Best of luck with the anticipation!

Remember there are plenty of us that live vicariously through all of you sheep tagholders so don't forget to share!

Many of us are still waiting for our tag, this is YOUR SEASON!  Make the best of it, savor the moment, and enjoy.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

This is my favorite ram I’ve found. I wasn’t seeing sheep after 7 consecutive scouting trips during the summer. I was devastated and questioning everything I knew about my unit and animals. 

I dropped down on my knees to pray and low and behold, He dropped this ram on the skyline with another similarly sized ram and 25 ewes. I got to watch them in the 100 degree heat until monsoon lightening ran me off the mountain.  

I lost him in late September after seeing him 3 or 4 more times. Wish I could have gotten closer, but he's always been on the other side of a bad canyon. Wilderness units can sure make you work for it! 

E9F666CE-92D2-4770-A37C-63E569069B12.thumb.png.6b21ba4f2eedc933935e4bb9159fbd15.png0EEC0FCC-F63D-4FE4-8051-6A151C196864.thumb.png.4f8536616d8b4407441436aa0d08f8ab.png

10 hours ago, akaspecials said:

This is my favorite ram I’ve found. I wasn’t seeing sheep after 7 consecutive scouting trips during the summer. I was devastated and questioning everything I knew about my unit and animals. 

I dropped down on my knees to pray and low and behold, He dropped this ram on the skyline with another similarly sized ram and 25 ewes. I got to watch them in the 100 degree heat until monsoon lightening ran me off the mountain.  

I lost him in late September after seeing him 3 or 4 more times. Wish I could have gotten closer, but he's always been on the other side of a bad canyon. Wilderness units can sure make you work for it! 

E9F666CE-92D2-4770-A37C-63E569069B12.thumb.png.6b21ba4f2eedc933935e4bb9159fbd15.png0EEC0FCC-F63D-4FE4-8051-6A151C196864.thumb.png.4f8536616d8b4407441436aa0d08f8ab.png

What do you think he will go? Looks enormous.

edit: 24b wilderness?

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

What do you think he will go? Looks enormous.

Mid 170? Others would know better than I would. All the rams I've posted so far have also been photographed by others this season.  

5 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Some good looking rams. Good luck, take your time and enjoy the whole thing.

what he said.  I felt so much pressure before my hunt, knowing I would most likely  never draw it again, add in everyone talking scores, field judging etc. I was all wadded up.  I about came off the tracks  when I first saw the ram I ended up killing, and fortunately I was able to kill him the next day with my best hunting buddy  with me the  whole way   Remember why you hunt,  and that you are fortunate  to have the opportunity to hunt an animal most wont. Enjoy the ride.....

• Like 4

Guest akaspecials

0 sleeps left.

Just got off work. 16 hour work day, 

Not packed. 

Shooting baseball sized groups at 60 yards. 

My 25 mile solo walkabout over Thanksgiving only produced 3 sheep. WTF?

All my gear is breaking down, one piece at a time....

Dirty fuel line caused my 20 year old backpacking stove to turn into a fireball on Friday night. 

Ram in video not seen in a while... 

A potential archery ram is located for the morning. He's not quite a book ram? Is he? 

Is a larger ram with him? Is he an archery ram on the first day? I don't think so... 

He's in a good position though... 

Ewes are hot. Rams are beating each other up. 

They are limping and nursing more wounds than than I am. 

Soundtrack is TOOL: 10,000 Days

31 days to kill a ram. 21 days off to hunt.

It's go time. 

Good luck to the other tag holders. 

And thanks for the support and encouragement. I've spent many hours on the phone and in person with countless people in the community discussing this tag. I couldn't have gotten here without you. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, akaspecials said:

0 sleeps left.

Just got off work. 16 hour work day, 

Not packed. 

Shooting baseball sized groups at 60 yards. 

My 25 mile solo walkabout over Thanksgiving only produced 3 sheep. WTF?

All my gear is breaking down, one piece at a time....

Dirty fuel line caused my 20 year old backpacking stove to turn into a fireball on Friday night. 

Ram in video not seen in a while... 

A potential archery ram is located for the morning. He's not quite a book ram? Is he? 

Is a larger ram with him? Is he an archery ram on the first day? I don't think so... 

He's in a good position though... 

Ewes are hot. Rams are beating each other up. 

They are limping and nursing more wounds than than I am. 

Soundtrack is TOOL: 10,000 Days

31 days to kill a ram. 21 days off to hunt.

It's go time. 

Good luck to the other tag holders. 

And thanks for the support and encouragement. I've spent many hours on the phone and in person with countless people in the community discussing this tag. I couldn't have gotten here without you. Thank you. 

Good luck