Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Looking for machinist

Looking for a machinist on the west side that can mill a couple rifle chassis’s for weight reduction and time a muzzle brake. David

1 hour ago, azhuntnut said:

Looking for a machinist on the west side that can mill a couple rifle chassis’s for weight reduction and time a muzzle brake. David

I'll message you 

By Bass Pro on the Eastside is Todd South, Southern Xpress Custom Rifles.

He does all of that and more.

19 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Dumb question probably but how do you time a brake exactly? Can't you just throw it on?

Some need to clocked or timed so the ports face up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

Some need to clocked or timed so the ports face up.

Oh that makes perfect sense.  Nobody likes dirt blowing in their face.  I pictured something else with the word timing and it didn't make sense... Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Dumb question probably but how do you time a brake exactly? Can't you just throw it on?

When you buy a brake off the internet and install it your self it either comes with shims or is designed to be clocked. Have it installed by a Smith and you will be GTG if you have him pick one out and install it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

A self timing brake you can. Otherwise it’s machine seamless or shims 

• Like 1

Yeah Makes sense.  Archery guy here relatively dumb when it comes to rifles. What makes a brake self timing? Like a clamp on with sideways ports?

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Yeah Makes sense.  Archery guy here relatively dumb when it comes to rifles. What makes a brake self timing? Like a clamp on with sideways ports?

More like an Integrated jam nut

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

This is a timed or clocked brake. Custom Muzzy by Todd @ Southern Xpress built Sept. 2021. Shot my first Muley Oct. 2021at 354 yards in a gusting wind of 15 to 40 mph. Not only functional, but very beautiful. (111gr Blackhorn 209, 45 cal Arrowhead NS (nosize) bullet.) Brake worked great.

Recounted my hunt in Campfire.

IMG_20211023_170041.thumb.jpg.63a2d3ea2171e1bb38331bde7b0ff89c.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PRDATR said:

When you buy a brake off the internet and install it your self it either comes with shims or is designed to be clocked. Have it installed by a Smith and you will be GTG if you have him pick one out and install it.

The brakes may be screw clamp or have jam nuts (double nuts, the second tightened against the first to jam it and keep it from changing position) as well.

A Smith will cut the threads so the break lines up correctly when the brake runs out of threads on the barrel.

A Smith may also cut the brake such that it looks like it is a built-in piece of the barrel, where possible. A great Smith, like Todd, makes it look seamless as seen in my previous pic.

Not a dumb question. We can't always learn without asking some questions, or sometimes being corrected.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I wondered the same thing.