Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Alec Baldwin charged!!!

7 hours ago, Brokinator said:

Everyone is focusing on the wrong part of this. After Brandon Lee’s death, hollywood changed the rules for firearms handling on film sets.

All firearm props, including rubber, replica and genuine would never be pointed at anyone else (on screen or off) again. If they want footage of the gun pointed directly at the camera, they cheat it by using mirrors or locking off the camera (so operator, cinematographer and director can be away from the line of fire) and operating it remotely. If they are supposed to shoot another actor, they point deliberately to a side and position the camera to cheat that angle.

Rust personnel got complacent and people stood in front of a handgun. Baldwin (big expert that he claims he is) should NEVER HAVE POINTED THE GUN AT ANYONE.

Baldwin gets some relief in that actors don’t check their own weapons, but he should have refused Hutchins’ request to point at her (or the camera she was next to).

It didn’t help they kept the armorer away from the set (because of covid precautions).

Cite your source(s) for the above info?

Back when this happened, like a lot of folks I was dumbfounded about how in the F it could ever happen.  Did some digging, and as far as I could find there are no 'Hollywood rules' in effect anywhere near as strict as you have described.  Most I could find is that there are various arts and production unions/organizations (mostly at the state level) that try to govern this type of thing, but the so called rules are sort of all over the place.

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Honestly...............what exactly was a live round doing on the set??? Just simple wonder............

Chances are, nobody on the set knew the difference.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, Brokinator said:

Everyone is focusing on the wrong part of this. After Brandon Lee’s death, hollywood changed the rules for firearms handling on film sets.

All firearm props, including rubber, replica and genuine would never be pointed at anyone else (on screen or off) again. If they want footage of the gun pointed directly at the camera, they cheat it by using mirrors or locking off the camera (so operator, cinematographer and director can be away from the line of fire) and operating it remotely. If they are supposed to shoot another actor, they point deliberately to a side and position the camera to cheat that angle.

Rust personnel got complacent and people stood in front of a handgun. Baldwin (big expert that he claims he is) should NEVER HAVE POINTED THE GUN AT ANYONE.

Baldwin gets some relief in that actors don’t check their own weapons, but he should have refused Hutchins’ request to point at her (or the camera she was next to).

It didn’t help they kept the armorer away from the set (because of covid precautions).

they also had a live round on the set and loaded into the gun he was using. He didn’t check it either. Idk if that’s focusing on the wrong thing. There were several gun handling mistakes. 

If they just followed gun safety basics this 

would  not have happened. 

Always  assume  the gun is loaded.

And never point at what you don't  intend to shoot.

• Like 1

Laxed firearm rules have been in the film industry a long time. 

When family from out of town came to visit we often ended up at Old Tucson. 

Once while watching the filming of a gunfight scene for the High Chaparral, I was hit in the face with a wax or soft plastic projectile from a blank fired by an actor, maybe Cameron Mitchell? IDK but I ended.up in some actors sights.

8 hours ago, Edge said:

Laxed firearm rules have been in the film industry a long time. 

When family from out of town came to visit we often ended up at Old Tucson. 

Once while watching the filming of a gunfight scene for the High Chaparral, I was hit in the face with a wax or soft plastic projectile from a blank fired by an actor, maybe Cameron Mitchell? IDK but I ended.up in some actors sights.

Should have listened to Ol Abe!

01530308-E4-AE-47-A8-9-E62-3-D03113-DC0-BB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3