Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Unit 33 late nov/early dec.

I drew this tag this year and I was just wanting to get some opinions on how everyone thinks this hunt will go, being as this is a "NEW" tag?? Will it be a better hunt due to the cooler weather, or will it be a worse hunt due to the 2 previous hunts.....just looking for some input.

Thanks

Cooler weather? When? ;)

If I had the tag, I would be planning a backpack trip into the roadless areas.

I have this hunt as well, after seeing all the other hunts I do not think there are any deer left. We have a spot that we have been watching and know of 1 hunter that hunted it and he tagged out opening morning in the last hunt so the deer should not be too spooked. caution though: Oracle is now overran with Forest Service trucks as they have started a control burn in the Peppersauce area, don't know how this will affect that hunt but I know that Peppersauce is ussually overran with hunters. Good Luck.

DB- your right, we are backpacking in, got my freezedried food last night....yummy!

looks like the control burn will be complete this Friday, here is the info

Nov. 17--A prescribed burn scheduled to be set near Oracle today should be too remote to affect nearby communities, Forest Service officials said.

Firefighters with Coronado National Forest and the Oracle Fire Department will begin burning about 1,700 acres southeast of Oracle in an area west of Peppersauce Campground, said Heidi Schewel, a spokeswoman for the Coronado National Forest.

The fire is expected to burn through Friday, Schewel said.

Because the fire is being set in a remote location, fire managers do not expect drifting smoke to affect nearby communities, she said.

Travel in the area may be restricted along a portion of Oracle Control Road between Peppersauce Campground and Nugget Canyon Road while firefighters are actively burning.

The prescribed burn will clear out brush and reduce the risk of future wildfires. It will also open the area to improve wildlife habitats, Schewel said.

For more information on the prescribed burn, call 388-8484.

I drew this tag this year and I was just wanting to get some opinions on how everyone thinks this hunt will go, being as this is a "NEW" tag?? Will it be a better hunt due to the cooler weather, or will it be a worse hunt due to the 2 previous hunts.....just looking for some input.

Thanks

It will be a great hunt just as long as you get away from the crouds of people.

I will be down there. I usually go for the late December hunt but this was my second choice. I know what the unit looks like with 100 tags I cant imagine what it looks like with this many. Figured I could get my cameras out for archery season. I will also be down this weekend for the juniors hunt. If you see the big rig stop and say hi.

Thanks

"2 previous hunts"?

try 5. by the time your hunt rolls around there will have been 1 archery hunt, 2 youth rifle hunts and 2 general rifle hunts.

best bet is to try and get 1+ hour in and away from the nearest road.

I thought about this too. I dont have unit 33 but I do have this same time. Like everyone else has said, walk an hour. That will get rid of 90% of the hunters. I think we will have cooler weather than we have now and we will have a New Moon!!! That should help out a lot.

I have this hunt as well. My plan is hunt my usual spot but really concentrate on the week days when there should be less pressure.

Good luck to all!

Reddog

I have the same hunt in unit 33 also !!!

I tagged out opening morning last year but it was the late december hunt, so obviously things will be different. Unfortunalty family matters have prevented me from any scouting this year so I will have to rely on my "same ole" spots as last year. The only problem is they are only about 20-30 minuts hike off a major dirt road so other hunter hunters will most likely be "marching around" stirring up everything. It still amazes me to see guys trucking across open ground all dang day looking for animals. So I am going to have to either just go with the spots that I am familiar with, or try and find some new ones. Could be a tough tag to fill, I also only have three full day to fill it.... Oh Well its better than work and dirty diapers.

Good luck

send my an e-mail if you want to discuss some areas, It's public land so I have nothing to hide. ;)