Cadenhead

Consensus on top 3 units and top 3 guides?

Will be going in to the '23 fall draw with 16 points and targeting the December hunt.  What are the top 3 units and who would be the top 3 guides/outfitters?  Coming from out-of-state so wont' have the luxury of being able to scout.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cadenhead said:

Thanks, I'll check them out.  I recognize that "goHunt" data would suggest 22,23 and 33 but looking for this kind of perspective. 

Gohunt’s data on coues deer is more or less useless.  I’d burn them on an early kaibab muley tag and spend the money you’re gonna use in AZ on a Mexico trip.  
1:  you will be hunting private land without a million other yahoos out chasing them with a bow while you’re trying to hunt 

2: there won’t have just been 3 rifle hunts in the area you’re hunting leading up to your hunt

3:  you get to hunt during the rut (the December coues hunt is more like a pre rut hunt, a lot like a mid October mule deer hunt)

4:  you won’t have to be away from family for Christmas (if you want any chance at a little pre rut actuon it’ll be Xmas to new year)

• Like 14

The best outfitters here are gonna charge 10k+ for a hunt. You could go on a much better coues Mexico coues hunt for the same price and like said above, burn all those BP’s on a good muley hunt

• Like 4

I would defiantly consider the southern units 36A, 36B, and 36C all units capable of 110"+120". As for the guide, I would give a 5-star recommendation to Torpy Hunts of Sonora. Pat Romero.

Widely considered one of the best Couse guides in the Word! by his peers.

I have been guided by Pat in all of the above units and MX. you would be lucky to get him if he is available.

http://thsonora.com/

Give Shadow Valley Outfitters at least a call.  They will talk you through the units, draw percentages along with expectations and cost.  They offer different packages. No commitment to have a conversation.  Good guys and their team have been killing it the last few yrs.  

I can’t tell you who to use but I can tell you I wouldn’t use A3. Had a bad experience with them on a late December hunt and the owners could care less. 

• Like 1

Why does everybody seem to “THINK”Coues deer rut is the last week of December? It’s not a set date in when a Coues deer ruts ?? I’ve seen deer chasing in early December and mounting does the wrest of the month after that?? Just funny to me that I’ve read several post on here that say the last week is pre rut lol, it could be anytime, just gotta be out there to see it IMO

16 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

Why does everybody seem to “THINK”Coues deer rut is the last week of December? It’s not a set date in when a Coues deer ruts ?? I’ve seen deer chasing in early December and mounting does the wrest of the month after that?? Just funny to me that I’ve read several post on here that say the last week is pre rut lol, it could be anytime, just gotta be out there to see it IMO

Generally I see it down here mid January.  I've not seen it in December myself. What part of the state have you seen it that early? And you are talking coues right?

In the 90's. The rut was fantastic in December. For whatever reason that has changed.  I had a friend who won the coues raffle tag several years and hunted all 12 months.  He said the best rutting month he saw was February. 

• Like 1

The best part about the December hunt is reduced tags (but there are OTC archery hunters) and the season is 15-17 days. 

the worst part is there are only appx 8 hours of daylight per day. 

• Like 2