Sign in to follow this  
verdehunter

Deep Sea Fishing Out of San Diego

On 6/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, verdehunter said:

Trip was decent. 28 total blue fin in 3 days. Half the trip was fishable, other half was a glorified, expensive boat ride. 11 in our group didn’t catch many. Other group on the boat managed to do better, despite being know it all douchebags. 

Did you guys get most of the fish on jigs, bait, sinker rigs? What was working? Any size to any of the fish? Please try to share a few more details. How was the captain and crew, food, comfort of the bunks? Were you in USA waters or Mexico?

See my other, more detailed post from last night. Flylining caught a few, but most were caught with sinker rigs. Size from 20lbs to a few just over 100lbs, and everywhere in between. Captain and crew were good, food was better than expected. Bunks were ok, pretty cramped and not the most comfortable. But I've slept on worse. 

Going on a party boat 20 to 30 guys is rough.  You get the know it alls.  If its a chartered ride, then it is a good enjoyable time.  I have been sticking to doing 6 packs and if I can find a chartered boat and space, Ill join if I can.  Usually stop in at Phx Fishing or call them for any info.

The 6 packs have been a slam dunk fun trips!

looks like some of the fleet is north of SCI now.

I agree, definitely rough. And the other group were certainly know it alls, especially the dipshit from Canada. But, it was an invite from a buddy who put it together so figured I’d give it a shot. I’d do it again, but would look at smaller group and only people I know.

Returned this morning from our annual 1.5 day on the Pacifica with almost a limit of BF. Mixed bag of 25-70. We had to choose between going south for Dodo's, YF and BF, which have been hit or miss, or going NW for BF only. We chose BF only.

Weather was great and before Noon was maybe too nice. No luck at 5AM on jigs but the jigs and sinker rigs were picking off a fish or 2 on in the 30-70 range beginning at daybreak and throughout the day.. Lots of nada stops. About 3:30 we moved off the bigger fish to go find catchable fish. (About a 30 minute move)  The 1st stop lasted about 2 hours with up to 10 rods bent at once using both flyline and sinker rigs. Smaller grade but lots of fun. They would not touch 40# line so 30# line on the spinner was the weapon of choice. That baitrunner reel screaming when they first hit it is still a rush.

Made a few stops in the dark and 2 of them produced 2 fish each in the 60-70# range from 300-400'. Fish up to 200 are there, we just didn't find any that wanted to play.

A big Mako came to collect some taxes but left shortly after taking the tail off of one nice fish.. (Tuna come to the boat so much easier when they have no tail)

20230810_221512-2.thumb.jpg.c3f8e6cf98bc3ecf4940959077d7140a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Good looking load. I rather catch 20 to 50lb fish, just more fun, plus better eating to me.

Im heading out again 2.5 weeks. Hoping for some YT, YFT and Dodos.  Still have a feeezer fuĺl of BFT.

• Like 1

I’m totally ignorant on this whole process, but learning from these threads. What’s a ballpark cost per person for a 6-pack? I know I could research it myself but I’m lazy and just looking for a ballpark idea. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, bigorange said:

I’m totally ignorant on this whole process, but learning from these threads. What’s a ballpark cost per person for a 6-pack? I know I could research it myself but I’m lazy and just looking for a ballpark idea. 

6 packs run for overnight to 1.5 days $700 - 900.  Plus tip.  Sometimes Mex license but never been hit with fuel charge.  Most of the 6 packs, feed you 3 meals, plus tons of snacks, sodas, waters etc... Some will have beer too.  You will get a nice bunk, bathroom etc..

Most will take 50% down and then pay rest on card at launch or pay cash at boat.  Card will get you a 2 or 3% fee charge, I usually always do PP for 50%, then cash at boat.  Trick is you need to get solid guys and get commitments to go/ cash in hand style.  I have had flakes and so has my cousin.  We book 2 to 4 trips per year.

You get a 1/1 style with Capt/Deckhands getting you new rods if needed ie., backlash, walking around bow of boat with your rod etc....I have had tuna run me in circles and trying to balance is a little tough for not living on water.

They will also have all the rods and gear you will ever need.  They will tie  you up with hook, jig, iron or what ever you want to throw.  They have a bunch of different rods to use.  Basically you show up with your clothes, special drinks etc... and they do all the lifting.  You reel in the fish, they will clean, gill and gut, ice it and move to next fishing spot.

I have used and still use the Cobalt and Sauerfish.  These 2 boats are from different landings but are buddies and will do a lot of teamwork together.

Andrew

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AZ RANGER said:

Doing a 1.5 day on the relentless Saturday. Really hoping for some yellowtail. 

Good Luck!

• Like 2