Sign in to follow this  
verdehunter

Deep Sea Fishing Out of San Diego

20 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

6 pack or bust if im finally talked into cali tuna fishing.  Ain't nobody got time for the mass poverty boats.  Penn coffee grinder been doing work for years but I may be talked into a new Avet.  That 2 speed option is pretty solid. 

Do It!  If not now, when?

• Like 1

Use to do alot of fishing  when I lived in CA.  Most boats were running  Penn reels usually  113 or larger  . Blues will beat you up with  out good gear . The longfin off the 55 freeway  in orange use to rent good gear. It's addictive  once you get into some bigger  fish and real easy to spend  for good gear .if your  going  to make regular  trips your probably  going  to need a two speed reel atleast  a 30wide . It's always  nice to have a extra  gear and a rod you can put it to the big boys.

Rent gear. If you want to buy check out Penn Fathom 2 speed 40N for Bluefin. You can catch smaller tunas and yellos on whatever. For top notch look at Accurate, made in USA. Fished with the owner once on a sponsored trip. Dude and his kids were cool.

Shaping up to be another great year! Got a trip planned for late August with some friends. Can't wait!

About a 75#er from a few years ago. Our boy Swivelhead is the man though. He got one around 2 hundo last year.

thumbnail_20200725_153958.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heat said:

Rent gear. If you want to buy check out Penn Fathom 2 speed 40N for Bluefin. You can catch smaller tunas and yellos on whatever. For top notch look at Accurate, made in USA. Fished with the owner once on a sponsored trip. Dude and his kids were cool.

Shaping up to be another great year! Got a trip planned for late August with some friends. Can't wait!

About a 75#er from a few years ago. Our boy Swivelhead is the man though. He got one around 2 hundo last year.

Here is a review of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYV2vmuBsYs

Not on topic but I have a San Diego kayak fishing trip booked for me and my 15 daughter in June and I can’t freaking wait 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Heat said:

thumbnail_20200725_153958.jpg

Great pic! Davey's Locker in the old hood put out some good ones last year. This year, looking to get out via Davey's or south at Point Loma. If anyone needs a ride or looking get out in mid-late August thru late Sept, hit me up. 

FYI, Tackle Direct is clearing out some decent Avet reels. Grabbed a MXL 6/4 two speed for $280.

• Like 1

for fun reads and have sometimes very lightly used equipment for sale.  Some equip is trashed.  I have purchased, rods and reels.  If you buy a reel and it comes with line.  I would respool it.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/

If you want to go with a few friends (6) look at the various 6 pack charters, they are a little more money, but have solid equipment and if you break a line, theyll hand you another rod, They will teach newbies as they want you to have a blast.  I use Sauerfish and Cobalt and do 2 to 4 trips with them a year.

Grand kids at the pier last week.

22" spot Crocker

14" surf "jew" perch, big eye

4yr old and 5 year old. Sorry didn't mean to high jack. They said tuna charters are slow

WIN_20230605_20_50_47_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230605_20_51_32_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

Trip was decent. 28 total blue fin in 3 days. Half the trip was fishable, other half was a glorified, expensive boat ride. 11 in our group didn’t catch many. Other group on the boat managed to do better, despite being know it all douchebags. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, verdehunter said:

Trip was decent. 28 total blue fin in 3 days. Half the trip was fishable, other half was a glorified, expensive boat ride. 11 in our group didn’t catch many. Other group on the boat managed to do better, despite being know it all douchebags. 

It has been real hit and miss for a few weeks and very few boats are getting limits but there have been some 160# class fish coming over the rails.

On 6/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, verdehunter said:

Do you know where you all were catching vs not?  I too hate the long boat rides, nice time for a beer and shack, maybe a nap. 

We were about 20-30 or so miles off the coast and south, about ensenada, and even further south than that. Thursday afternoon, all Thursday night, all day Friday, and until early evening Friday we were into them. At one point there were no less than 20 boats in the same area. Captain said we chased them 66 miles south overnight Friday night. Said hes never seen that before. Seas got super rough overnight and all day Saturday. We spent that entire time headed back north. I think we dropped lines only twice from midnight Friday night/Saturday morning until we anchored about 3am Saturday in the harbor. BFT only, never really fished for anything else.