HAWKEN

YOUTH ELK HUNT ADVICE

1- Find a gun that fits them - to many of us hand them our big rifle and it doesn’t fit them - the youth model shorter stocks are key …..my kids shoot the Remington youth model 243 and have shot many cow Elk and have down just fine .

2- get them out shooting it ! 

3-be patient - 

4- have fun !! 

these are some of the funniest  hunts I’ve been on - can be very frustrating….. but so much fun ! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

How much scouting can the two of you do and is it a Cow or Bull Tag?

Couldn't agree more, scouting is key for every hunt.

• Like 1

Enjoy the summer in the woods scouting. Cows should  be in the same areas as late summer and hopefully bugling will be on still during the hunt. Agree with tomgobbler. It’s a blast. Getting you both looking at the same elk is patience testing. Practice off shooting sticks too, or whatever you’ll be using. Death grip/bog pod and a tripod has been gold for us. 

• Like 1

I third scouting. You want to teach your kid not only the prep that goes into a hunt, but that hard work does pay off, and you want to be in areas with lots of opportunity for success.

I also suggest getting the kid lots of practice time shooting whatever rifle they plan on using. Not just from a bench, but off of a bipod/tripod or laying over a pack, like they'll probably be doing during the hunt. Set a realistic goal for their maximum range based off of their performance and stick to that.

• Like 1

I’ve got 4 daughters ages 8, 11, 13, 15.  They all hunt except the youngest as of now but she will be doing her hunters safety soon once she turns 9.  The oldest 3 especially the oldest two have shot several animals already out to almost 600 yards.   I think the most important part is NO running and gunning!  Got to have a calm kid and calm animal so they can take their time and I always get my girls prone if possible which so far has been almost 💯 of their shots.    I had my 13 yo (then 12) set up on 75-100 elk coming over a fence that had been pushed anywhere from 86 yards to 150 yards but they would not stop, kept trotting so we let the opportunity pass.  She ended up killing one 2 days later but the last thing you want your kid doing is blowing off legs and or missing/rushing that’s a good way to get them discharged and create target panic.   

Practice is also key!  I take them out shooting often and I believe what had really helped my oldest was shooting a lot of prairie dogs with a .17, it sure helped her pick up animals in a scope a lot quicker then her sisters that haven’t shot prairie dogs as much.  

You have to make it enjoyable for them too.  I know sometimes us adults can get caught up in the hunt and grind.  You have to be careful not to run your kid into the ground.  Sometimes it means taking a morning or evening off but you don’t want them to look back on the hunt like it was miserable.  

One more thing like mentioned above they are definitely my favorite hunt of the year!  

• Like 4

My daughter  isn't  in to hunting 😕  . So I've  gotten  to help  friends  on several  youth hunts  . Glass and chase bugles. Usually  the cows are still close  to the bulls . There are alot of eyes looking  then as the cows are usually  bunched up . Take your  time and setup for a shot . Bogg death grip is a great way to keep them steady.  It's always  good  to just have fun . Some of the best times in the woods  for me were just helping  on these kids hunts.  If all else you can always  sit a blind  on a water source  everything  has to have water . Sometimes  it's easier  for the restless and tired kids . They can sit and rest for awhile. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

I third scouting. You want to teach your kid not only the prep that goes into a hunt, but that hard work does pay off, and you want to be in areas with lots of opportunity for success.

I also suggest getting the kid lots of practice time shooting whatever rifle they plan on using. Not just from a bench, but off of a bipod/tripod or laying over a pack, like they'll probably be doing during the hunt. Set a realistic goal for their maximum range based off of their performance and stick to that.

Sound Advice.

• Like 1

Simulate the hunt.  Repetition of pulling the rifle up and training on a tight spot.  Setup the rifle as kid-ready as possible.  If you need to use check rests, or move the scope to setup for them.

Have the kids pull the rifle up to their eyes with their eyes closed.  Goal is to open their eyes and see through the scope.

Triclawps, tripods and good tools.