Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Hunters Ed

With my son drawing his first tag I need to et him his hunters ed done. Any tips on how to get a youth through it in time?

DM with info if it shouldn't be publicly posted....

• Haha 1

Check AZFG site daily, the classes fill quickly. Be prepared to take a day trip. That’s how we got one. 

Classroom class in Flagstaff July 20-23.  I'll be one of the instructors for all but one night (might still be there for that night): https://www.register-ed.com/events/view/198443

• Like 1

You only have to have the online done first before the hunt. Get that done and the look for a class. He won't get the lifetime bonus point until the class is finished. 

I saw a posting on FB where guys were getting their kids a Texas hunters ed an d it didn't require a field day. Not sure how that works with the bonus point but it might be an easy way to get it done.

3 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I saw a posting on FB where guys were getting their kids a Texas hunters ed an d it didn't require a field day. Not sure how that works with the bonus point but it might be an easy way to get it done.

I think Texas requires a field day now, unlike in California (online class, no field day).  It will meet the requirements for all states, but you won't get a bonus point.  You have to take an AZ HE class to get the bonus point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IA Born said:

I think Texas requires a field day now, unlike in California (online class, no field day).  It will meet the requirements for all states, but you won't get a bonus point.  You have to take an AZ HE class to get the bonus point.

I didn't really look into it I just saw guys posting about it. My son is 9 but I want him to take the field day.

3 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I didn't really look into it I just saw guys posting about it. My son is 9 but I want him to take the field day.

I think at one time, it wasn't required, but I think they changed it.  Keyword is "think" in all my knowledge (or lack thereof).

Get him our July 2-23 class here in Flagstaff!  I see you're over in Williams.

• Like 1

They deferred the field day again I believe and you can take the online portion if you get in a pinch. 

that being said, my son went through at and Greatly benefited from the in person class

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eli said:

They deferred the field day again I believe and you can take the online portion if you get in a pinch. 

that being said, my son went through at and Greatly benefited from the in person class

In 10 years of teaching, I see a huge difference in information retention with kids, especially the younger ones, who take the in-person class vs completing the online class.

• Like 3

I really wish there was a better system or that game and fish would put on a field day by every office every quarter or something. Volunteer teachers seem like they are putting them on less and less and even though its mostly just the field day now, its very hard to get an open spot. I"m on my third child and as of 3 weeks ago, there was one single field day listed, and it was in New Mexico, and as of a week ago, there were three listed, the NM one, and one in Yuma in december and one in Tucson I think. I called the department and they said yeah, the volunteers aren't doing them much any more so we extended the deadline again to June 2024 now.

I think they update and add classes on Tuesdays or Wednesdays so keep checking.