Sign in to follow this  
Coues Sniper

I really, really like Mexico

Got back from Mexico on Saturday with Rio Sonora Outfitters, and had a great hunt. I was really looking forward to this year because of the good rains we got, and after seeing the horn growth on some of the bucks the archery hunters had killed this year in AZ. I was hoping we would have similar results in Ol’ Mexico ;) .

We left Vegas at about 8:00 pm and made it across the border and to the ranch at about noon the next day. After checking our zeros (more on that later) we headed out for a quick afternoon hunt. I set up on a knob over some country that generally has low deer numbers but good genetics, and Brad had seen a couple decent bucks on a scouting trip in this area. However, all I had by sundown was a couple does and a small buck. At that point we were all ready for some much needed rest.

Next morning we all felt 100% better and were ready and anxious to get out there. I got set up on a different vantage point in the same general area as the previous evening well before light. The sun crept up on the ridges in front of me and revealed a whole lot of nothing. Just one doe, bedded, about 1200 yards out. Frustrated, I spun around to glass some new country behind me. About 45 minutes later I picked up a couple deer coming out of a draw a couple miles out. I could already put horns on one with my 15’s so I figured he had to be a pretty good buck. After putting the scope on him I could tell this was a buck we needed to go after. I radioed the buck’s location to Brad as he was about a ½ mile from me and he agreed we definitely needed a closer look at this buck. His 2’s were heavy and seemed to go on forever, I guessed them at least 8". We watched him for a bit and he bedded on the ridge he was on beneath an ocotillo. Perfect. We hurried over and got on a long ridge that would put us within shooting range. When we got to where we planned to shoot from we found the buck and a couple buddies up feeding about 10 yards from where we last saw him. Now he was really impressive. I tried to get my old man to shoot him but he wasn’t having it. (I easily have the best Pops ever ;)) I ranged him at about 400 and got ready for the shot. Now, I'm not the best shot in the world, but I pride myself in preparing for these types of situations and taking long shots. I practice out to 1000 yards with my rifle - in hunting situations - often. So I was very comfortable with this shot. I dialed my scope and got laid over my pack with a jacket under the butt of the gun and felt confident with my rest. I told Brad I was going to take him and he gave me the ok. I squeezed the shot off and heard “you missed – high.” The shot felt great so I corrected for the first shot and squeezed off another. “He’s hit, but not hard. That one was low on his front leg.” And so it went. I chased my called shots for longer than I care to mention here, all without putting the buck down. He was hit a few times and wasn’t going anywhere too fast, but losing him became a real concern. He had 3 good legs and was about 100 yards from being out of sight. Luckily, my dad had brought his rifle on the stalk and it was a gun I was familiar with. Brad suggested I try dad's gun since something definitely seemed up with mine. I reluctantly switched guns and drilled him the next shot at 475. “He’s down, great shot!” Talk about a relief! I was extremely frustrated and ecstatic all at the same time. We made it over to the buck and I about fell over. I like them tall, narrow and heavy, and this buck had all three. Both his 2’s are over 9”, he’s under 12” wide, and has just under 30” of mass. He's got a great 4th on his right and a crab claw 4 on his left. His total gross score was 121 and 6/8”, but his character was off the charts. Brad aged him at 10 1/2. I couldn’t have been happier. The last afternoon I found my old man a great buck and he was able to get him killed. Unfortunately he broke himself up something awful kicking on the ground and we weren't able to find all the pieces so we have to have him fixed. I’ll post some pics of him once he’s finished.

I’m still not sure what happened with my rifle. I haven't had a chance to make it out to the range or do a once over on her yet. It seemed to be spraying bullets all over. When we checked our zeros that first afternoon, I first shot twice at 500 and actually missed our steel gong (about 8” x 10”). I moved up to 300 and center punched the bull’s eye so I shook it off and figured it was me making bad shots at 500. I should have backed up again or at least shot a group at 300 to see what I was really doing. I was over-confident in my rifle I guess. :rolleyes: Lesson learned.

post-1287-1228954919_thumb.jpg

post-1287-1228954960_thumb.jpg

post-1287-1228954998_thumb.jpg

post-1287-1228955036_thumb.jpg

post-1287-1228955060_thumb.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o :o

WOW!! Huge congratulations on a MONSTER of a buck!

Those field pictures came out great as well, of course im sure i could even take a good picture with a rack like that :P :P

Very nice, I really like his height

WOW!!! Awesome job Kevin!!! I think you have more total inches of bone in 2 of your bucks than I do in all mine combined!!! Huge congrats to you! JIM>

Very Awesome Buck! A huge congrats to you on another trophy of a life time! I'm headed down in the morning to Mexico and can only dream of finding something like that. Don't forget to post up the pics of your dad's buck when you get him fixed up.

Phil

Kevin, You are hard on those big Coues! Congrats on another super Buck. Great Tine length and super eye guards. Let us know what was wrong with the rifle. That is interesting.