Hello to all and a Merry Christmas: i've read in a topic earlier for a coues hunt in 24b, the gentleman took a shot at a deer at 600 yds and hit him but could not recover after two days, now you have a tag for one animal supposed that animal died, should he still go on on his hunt until he harvest an animal or should he quit? since he wounded and probably kill him ,what it will be the right thing to do??

and when the AZGFD send you the survey what do you write , wounded and could not recover one and harvest one?

i just mention this incident because it was on the forum but i'm sure that happen to other people in this forum.

just wondering on people opinions.

Good question- A 600 yard rifle shot- a 70 yard archery shot- I also hear these stories and wonder. If you practice these shots and are proficient, I think it's ok. I'm no expert with bow or rifle but shoot both pretty well. I personally would not take either of these shots because of all the variables and the chance of a wounded, lost animal. When I dove or quail hunt and lose a bird, I consider it part of my limit. In the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter but to me personally - it does. I've been fortunate to have never lost a big game animal that I have hit. I know it happens even to the pros on TV shows. Nothing goes to waste in nature, but I don't hunt to feed coyotes and buzzards. I don't shoot and hope- I take only shots I KNOW I can make. But that's just me. <_<

I'd answer truthfully on the card (I do); it helps the managers guess how much wounding is going on, and they can extrapolate from that for science based management...

The question I have is: are you penalized unknowingly for answering truthfully? They keep track of who filled out the questionaire (there is a serial number on the card that has your tag # on it). What if they see that the same hunter has wounded game EVERY time he has killed and reported? Do they let that guy keep hunting and wounding? OR does he mysteriously stop getting drawn??

T

IMO, if you honestly bust your Arse to find the animal and are unsuccesful then I feel that you should hunt on. It happens, but I think it should be reported.

hello -

B) - Not real suprised that the guy removed the post - a few members were a bit hard on him.

He was basically surprised at the comments- some almost rude - and decided that this website was not as freindly as he'd been told and basically stated he'd not return!

If someone post information that seems wrong to you - get over it! Everyone of us is different. Take the time to ask a few questions , before jumping to conclusions - I've been guilty of this myself . Once the whole story was told. It wasn't a big deal!

All of us aren't so online proficiet with writing articles or trying to convey a story -

I for one had hoped he'd leave it ! Even now this forum on ethic's doesn't really tell the whole story as it was explained the second time in more detail by the writer ! Oh well ! It's easy to take things out of the context ! Even harder to repeat a story accurately!

Is it unethical to take 500-600 + yrd shots - not if one has the proper equipment- and is profient/confident enough to make a clean kill - he stated he was and had several kills at this range ! He had the proper eqipment and had practiced regularly.

Yes , he missed and was sick to have found some blood and not a downed animals - he and freinds spent days combing the area looking for any sign to follow that indicated he had a serious wounded or dead animal , none was found!

Should he continue to hunt - I wouldn't give up looking yet - He also stated he planned to return and see if he had a second chance at this animal - most deer return after a few days even if slightly ingured. Most bucks have a core area and return no matter what!

To end a hunt under these circumstances . NOWAY -To say he has an animal that has died somewhere is not entirely correct in my opinion ! The right thing was to make every effort to recover or find out what happened to that buck - He tried his best, that being done- hunts on agin!

It' is getting more important for us as hunters to fill out the harvest quota card! This is an important tool for G$F to record accurate information, and not just speculation ! If he's still lucky enoughto tag a buck - yesto tagging a deer and yes to wounding a deer because blood was found !

Gary

VERY well written Elkaholic,

Wish I had read his post more with open eyes and mind! We all have made shots that we should not have taken regardless what everyone will or have amitted too! :blink:

Thank you for the reminder that will make me think before writting again in a absent minded train of thought!!!

Hunting ethics are a widely debated topic and everyone has to choose their own . If someone is capable of consistent accuracy at 600 yards, good for them. Doing all you can to find a wounded animal is an ethical thing to do, but sometimes animals are not recovered, it is not against the law.

Your freind should chalk it up as a loss and continue hunting, and just report it as such on the questionaire, there is no shame in that. Most hunters have made bad shots at some point in their lives. :)

I suspect that a 600 yard shot at a standing deer is more "ethical" than a 60 yard shot at a running and bounding whitetail pushed by a deer drive. Even 200 yard shots from a rest at a standing, broadside deer can go awry; BTDT :(

On some guided hunts here in the US and Africa, to draw blood is to pay the trophy fee. I am certain the buck I shot Dec 31 last year eventuallly died and became food for another organism. I looked for hours that afternoon and the next day to no avail.

LOOK....this particular guys post was a bit odd....he came on and asked for "e-help" a few days before the hunt and then came back on and said that he had taken a shot at over 600 yds....someone replied(my favorite) ...."somethings you just don't say...somethings you just don't post..." or something like that... Is it a matter of ethics that the guys missed at 600+yds - what about the guys that have hit animals at 80 -150 yds and never found them is that wrong??

I'm not sticking up for the guy because I'm fairly new to the site and would NEVER come on here and say that I hit and not recovered and animal at over 600 yds. Somethings are just better left unsaid...there is NOTHING good that can come from that....whether the guy was a sniper and capable of shots at over a 1000 yds or a rookie hunter and should be shooting 200 yds. EVERYONE will knock him!!!!!! I don't think that would have made it "unethical" just because he didn't post his misfortune on the WORLD WIDE WEB.....

I'm fotunate/blessed that I have never hit an animal and never recovered it (big game anyways) but that doesn't make me any better than guys that have taken shots - hit - and never found the animals...I think it's just part of it. We as hunters have to be prepared to live with the consequences of our shots (some connect - some do not).

Just my 2 cents...

Greg

Unfortunately it's probably too late to worry about the response's given this other hunter. Most likely he wont be back to this site unless he likes punishment. I find that to be the case all to often on this site, If we need someone to pick at walk away and come back when you've found something constructive to say that may be beneficial to someone instead of hurtful. True sportsmen don't eat other sportsmen, We must try to word our comments in such a way as to help someone rather than hurt and offend.

Guest 300ultramag.

he said "600 yds. at a 110" buck" cut both of those in half and u still dont have the truth :lol:

hes got a rut tag asking fer help but he knows what a 110 looks like at a 600 yds... cmon this guy was half quart low of the brown stuff... and thats it. Do any of you guys remember the movie Harry and the Hendersons.... The guy on the bike that said the bigfoot attacked him :lol: (Please some one has seen that movie!)

Honesty is a hard moral to legislate. I know what I would do mortally wounding an animal but there are many people whom continue hunting after many wounded animals - to each his own. I do think may people don't "honestly" return the harvest survey cards that our G&F uses to help determine tag allocations.

Do any of you guys remember the movie Harry and the Hendersons.... The guy on the bike that said the bigfoot attacked him :lol: (Please some one has seen that movie!)

You have officially been nominated for the "Most obscure movie qoute" category. :lol: :lol:

Guest 300ultramag.
Do any of you guys remember the movie Harry and the Hendersons.... The guy on the bike that said the bigfoot attacked him :lol: (Please some one has seen that movie!)

You have officially been nominated for the "Most obscure movie qoute" category. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Its been a while since Ive watched a movie! Dont have many to quote.... well maybe Anchorman