Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Sandhill Info, Guide, Direction?

5 hours ago, idgaf said:

I think I've seen some in a residential cotton field in Pima once.  Honestly, I don't know the difference between them and blue herrings. 

Yeah can't honestly say I remember seeing them on my travels up to morenci and back. But if you look at the valley by Wilcox and draw a straight line north over the mountains that would be the west side of mt graham so pima and ft Thomas probably make more sense.  Of course it's mostly cotton around safford and I have no idea if that's a viable food source for them.  Maybe look for farms growing something other then cotton.

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Herring's have scales. ;)

Saw one today flying just north of Douglas.  Seemed odd.  

4 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Saw one today flying just north of Douglas.  Seemed odd.  

Sure it wasn’t a heron of some sort.  There’s some cranes that nest in the mountains in UT and maybe CO but the vast majority of them nest north of the arctic circle. 

1 minute ago, yotebuster said:

Sure it wasn’t a heron of some sort.  There’s some cranes that nest in the mountains in UT and maybe CO but the vast majority of them nest north of the arctic circle. 

Lol, meant heron sorry. Only noticed cuz my boy thought it was a hawk and pointed it out.  

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah can't honestly say I remember seeing them on my travels up to morenci and back. But if you look at the valley by Wilcox and draw a straight line north over the mountains that would be the west side of mt graham so pima and ft Thomas probably make more sense.  Of course it's mostly cotton around safford and I have no idea if that's a viable food source for them.  Maybe look for farms growing something other then cotton.

I know they're some grain silos in the area.  (I Designed the electrical services for them)  fortunately I kept a couple of customers/friends in the area that can help me with access. 

• Like 1

I have a layout blind avail for purchase if any of you guys need one. 

On 7/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, yotebuster said:

When in flight Cranes necks are straight and Herons are bent almost in an S shape.

The trip went well. We had HiLo Outfitters for 2 days and we got all 9 birds. It was a fun trip. 

I also bagged a duck off a desert waterhole, so I add 2 new species to my list of animals successfully hunted. 

20231127_104503(0).jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

The trip went well. We had HiLo Outfitters for 2 days and we got all 9 birds. It was a fun trip. 

I also bagged a duck off a desert waterhole, so I add 2 new species to my list of animals successfully hunted. 

Glad to see Nash got a hold of you. I bet the kids loved pearl. She is awesome to watch work. Congratulations guys !! 

Are those 3 big birds greaters?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HyNoon said:

Glad to see Nash got a hold of you. I bet the kids loved pearl. She is awesome to watch work. Congratulations guys !! 

Are those 3 big birds greaters?

No, they were all lessers. A couple of them were 3.5kg when we checked them in.  Pearl was great, my younger son was bird dogging with her. 

I wish we would have seen some greaters. 

9 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

No, they were all lessers. A couple of them were 3.5kg when we checked them in.  Pearl was great, my younger son was bird dogging with her. 

I wish we would have seen some greaters. 

That's  cool. I bet he had a blast. Ya they are huge birds they are usually 6kg