Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Hatch Green Chili Source?? (EXTRA HOT / HOT)

I buy a big bunch every season and can/jar them for use throughout the year.  The last three years my local Ranch Market has been a great source of extra-hot ones, but so far this year they haven't been up to par.  (For anyone in the know, even the ones that are advertised as "hot" aren't really always that hot....)   I prefer to roast them myself, so looking for them unroasted.  I know it's still at the front end of the season, but thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone has a source?  Central-east valley preferably.

Nothing like the smell of chilis roasting in the backyard, then steaming in the plastic bag in the kitchen prior to peeling!

Send me a private message if you would rather, as I know this can be something that some folks wouldn't want advertised to the world. 😂

S.

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wish I would have known Stan.

I stopped in Hatch NM just last week.  I would have happily brought back a sack for you.

They were already starting with this season's harvest just like you stated.

• Like 1

I bought some in Food City a little over a week ago. Quality was poor. Lots of small ones, broken ends soft spots etc. Maybe one out of 30-40 was worth buying.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chef said:

Wish I would have known Stan.

I stopped in Hatch NM just last week.  I would have happily brought back a sack for you.

They were already starting with this season's harvest just like you stated.

I’m heading over for our annual pronghorn hunt next week.  Will maybe do a little search while going through Albuquerque.  It’s a bit of a detour all the way down south on 25 from there, but I might be tempted to head through Hatch.  😉

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I bought some in Food City a little over a week ago. Quality was poor. Lots of small ones, broken ends soft spots etc. Maybe one out of 30-40 was worth buying.

Exactly!!!     Still holding out hope as the season progresses, though.  

My usual is the Ranch Market at Scottsdale & McKellips.   They have had a great supply every year.  This year, not yet.   Gonna do a little road trip search tomorrow.    👍🏻

We had a pretty good crop of green chili's, jalapenos, tomatoes and tomatillos. All wiped out by the heat wave and well trouble.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Edge said:

We had a pretty good crop of green chili's, jalapenos, tomatoes and tomatillos. All wiped out by the heat wave and well trouble.

I didn’t get any peppers yet. ghosts, reapers, scorpions… too hot to pollinate. 

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Question, do you gotta roast them and peel them to can them?

I don’t think you necessarily have to, but that’s how I choose to do it.

When I finally get my hands on some, I’ll give it a try with one jar without roasting/peeling as a test.  The high pressure canning process cooks the holy-heck out of them, so I have to assume they would be tender all the way through.    I’ll check it out!    

19 minutes ago, stanley said:

I don’t think you necessarily have to, but that’s how I choose to do it.

When I finally get my hands on some, I’ll give it a try with one jar without roasting/peeling as a test.  The high pressure canning process cooks the holy-heck out of them, so I have to assume they would be tender all the way through.    I’ll check it out!    

I wondered because I've heard so many people talking about peeling them over the years. Honestly didn't know why.

Are you using a pressure canner?

Nothing smells like fall like roasted hatch green chilies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I wondered because I've heard so many people talking about peeling them over the years. Honestly didn't know why.

Are you using a pressure canner?

I use a standard pressure cooker (not one made specifically for canning…).  But yes, I’m using the basic method of 90 minutes on high pressure.   Will eradicate any micro organisms.  LONG shelf life with no preservatives.  

• Like 1