CouesWhitetail

Matthewp45 scores a big San Carlos buck!

Congratulations to Matthew (aka Matthewp45) on his fine San Carlos buck he shot tonight just at last light. I have been fortunate enough to be out there with him and his guides to film the hunt and we made 4 stalks today on 4 different bucks. Tonight it finally all came together with Matthew making about a 300 yard shot on this fine buck. I won't post much of the story since it's really his story to tell and I need to get to bed so I can get out there early again in the morning! But he asked me to come post pics for you all.

I rough scored the buck, but I won't tell you until you get a chance to guess the score. So feel free to post what you think he might score.

What a great day it was today! Gorgeous weather, amazing country, lots of rutting deer and the day was capped off with a great shot made by Matthew on this excellent buck.

Amanda

Matthew as he first got to handle the buck:

post-1-1230873192_thumb.jpg

post-1-1230873213_thumb.jpg

Tribal guides Randy Hopkins and Davis Dude did an outstanding job on the hunt and here they are in the pics:

post-1-1230873292_thumb.jpg

post-1-1230873306_thumb.jpg

Randy and Davis each packed out half the deer on pack frames. here is Randy with his half:

post-1-1230873250_thumb.jpg

and me with Matt:

post-1-1230873263_thumb.jpg

HEY LOOK DIGITAL CAMERA!!! Wow those things work great! Congrats on a gorgeous buck! The face and hide on that deer are just as pretty as the rack too. Nice job!

HEY LOOK DIGITAL CAMERA!!! Wow those things work great! Congrats on a gorgeous buck! The face and hide on that deer are just as pretty as the rack too. Nice job!

:D :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS MATT, Hey I was thinking on you and I was wondering how you were doing on your hunt. Now I can see you did AWESOME!! I guess no more deer fever ha? Good Job Amanda, good job Matt, since you guys make and excellent team, you should come and help me out on my hunt. :) Are we going to be able to see the shot on film? Congrats again! Is a hard buck to score so I will guess....112.

Ernesto C

Very awesome buck! Great character and what a toad to boot! Congrats Matt on a great deer.

Phil

Very nice. Those back forks seem pretty symmetrical [sp], do you folks see that often in coues? or is it something on San Carlos?

Congratulations,

--Bill

I think theres a mule deer in that wood pile somewhere.. Pretty cool to have forked G2's like that. I would guess 116" And maybe some change.

Very nice. Those back forks seem pretty symmetrical [sp], do you folks see that often in coues? or is it something on San Carlos?

Congratulations,

--Bill

Yes, having forked g-2s is unusual in Coues. Don't see it very often on San Carlos either.

Amanda

Congratulations!

I thought "mule deer!" too when I first saw the antlers.

Way cool!

What a very unique rack, It looks real similar to one of my Sitka Blacktails from last year.

BillsKodiakHunt242.jpg

(Not trying to take away from Matthewp45's awesome buck, just enjoying and dreaming).

--Bill

First of all a major thanks to Davis Dude Jr., Randy Hopkins and of course the great Amanda. I think I am finally coming back down to earth after an absolutely great hunt. Amanda was such a great help and an absolute pleasure to be around. We had no problem making fun of each other and had a great time. Like Amanda said, we had stalked 3 or so bucks and did the old sit there and watch them at 300 yards. We talked him above and below a hundred about a hundred times. Well, I am very glad I forgot to put a shell in my gun and missed the first buck I tried to get last weekend.

We had been glassing for about an hour and a half (well hold on Amanda was sleeping for about an hour of it but she did have a cold and only got 2 hours of sleep the night before) when Davis glassed a buck and immediatley every piece of glass there was on him. It took maybe 10 seconds and we were up grabbing guns, packs, camera gear and blazzing up the hill. We started making our way up the thick drainage next to the open prickley pear patch where he had been chasing a doe. 30 minutes later we were where we thought we should be. No buck.

The doe he was with wasn't having any of him and ran into the thick drainage we had walked up. We decided to sit it out hoping the doe would came back out and drag him out in the open. When I say open it is thigh high grass, tons of cactus big rocks and some catclaw and a juniper every now and then. I got set up and the wait was on. Well when we took off it was pretty nice out side and all I had on was my longsleeve tee-shirt and thin pants. Which was great going up there and getting hot but after we got set up it started getting cold. So after about 30 minutes we find the doe and figure maybe he would make his way out to her. About 15 minutes after that Randy found him with just his butt facing away at only 200 yards. He turned west and disappeared back into the thick drainage again. Wait some more and get colder. 15 minutes after that I see a doe explode out of the drainage and he is right on her I am thinking this is it. They ran a huge circle and right back in to the thick. By this time it is getting low light and very cold. I look over at Randy and he is so cold he can't keep his binos from shaking like crazy. Mental time, block the cold out and think about making a good shot.

With about 5 minutes of shooting light I picked him up again walking straight away. I told them if he quarters enough away I am going to take the shot. Finally he quarted and stopped. I put the second line on his shoulder and squeezed. BOOM muzzle flash and I loose the deer turn and ask is he down, Randy was shaking to bad from cold and Amanda lost him in the camera after the shot. All I could say was I know the the right crosshair was right where it should have been when it went off. We trek up the hill and walk up to where he was standing at the shot and there he lay. I can't even explain how I felt. Amanda I am sorry if I acted like an idiot and I hope you didn't mind the hug. All in all it was a great hunt, great time and great people. I will never forget it ever and I thank God for letting me be there. Very much respect to such a great animal. Good luck to everyone else in 2009 I hope all your hunts are as good or better than mine. I would add some more photos but Amanda took them all so she has already posted most of the good ones. Thanks again to everyone involved and Amanda I hope we can hunt together again some day. I guess I can't claim Amanda's pictures for the photo contest but, my vote goes to the one she took with the horns and horizon in the back ground.