Ohthatguy

A thank you to AZGFD

Just a quick thank you to GnF for allowing me to maintain my lifetime safety issue/negetavie interactions related to game cameras in the field at zero with the recent trail camera ban. I'd hate to have ruined my lifetime record of zero issues with a negative interaction.

I would also like to let them know of a negative consequence directly related to the camera ban. A drinker that is typically heavily used by bears, elk, Mulies, WT, bobcats and a host of other critters was dry all summer. (I'm saying  "all summer" because only a single squirrel hit the tank in a period of 3 days. I have had a camera on this tank for the last 4 years and check it every spring and summer and have made repairs to this tank in the past when I found problems. As I had no reason to set a camera this year, the broken pipe was not discovered until the fall hunt. 

I went up to sit my favorite tank for bear and found the holding tank empty due to a break in the supply line from the holding tank to the drinker. After the usual cleaning of the catchment filter screen, removing a ton of pine needles and a crappy band-aid fix to the pipe and a perfectly timed downpour that same afternoon, the holding tank gained over 2" of water and the drinker was full. I'll return at some point with tools and supplies to make the repair permanent.

I doubt the camera ban was intended to remove a water source for wildlife but in this case, that was the effect of the ban so  👍

• Like 5

You want a medal or a chest to pin it on? 1-1/2 slippy slide coupling and a male adapter and some red hot glue. And channel locks.

13 minutes ago, TOBY said:

You want a medal or a chest to pin it on?

Neither... The repair is simple but not with what I take hunting and I'm sure many do similar repairs as well. The 300 mile round trip and trek down a messed up road is OK too. The point of the thread is to point out the unintended consequence of having a wildlife water tank going dry for the summer as a result of the camera ban. And, luckily I didn't get into a heated, life threatening debate with someone while at the drinker. 

I guess I just can’t understand why you are blaming the camera ban on this. Couldn’t you have went and checked the area at any point during the year to see if there was an issue? Not trying to be a smart butt on this but it really feels like a stretch. 

• Like 2

So, if you had been able to put a camera there, you would have noticed it how?  By going out to check the camera, correct? What is the difference between that and live scouting? If you had gone scouting in the flesh the old fashioned way,  you'd have noticed it as well.  I am missing the blame game point myself. Not to mention the old fashioned way of scouting would tend to require a few more trips, so you'd have been able to return with materials to repair it sooner in the summer.......JMO

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

So, if you had been able to put a camera there, you would have noticed it how?  By going out to check the camera, correct? What is the difference between that and live scouting? If you had gone scouting in the flesh the old fashioned way,  you'd have noticed it as well.  I am missing the blame game point myself. Not to mention the old fashioned way of scouting would tend to require a few more trips, so you'd have been able to return with materials to repair it sooner in the summer.......JMO

100% agree and was thinking the same. Just a way to blame the camera ban for something that has likely been happening for years, before the OP started going only 4 years ago........

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, verdehunter said:

100% agree and was thinking the same. Just a way to blame the camera ban for something that has likely been happening for years, before the OP started going only 4 years ago........

Well someone has to take the blame.

1 hour ago, mc68 said:

I guess I just can’t understand why you are blaming the camera ban on this. Couldn’t you have went and checked the area at any point during the year to see if there was an issue? Not trying to be a smart butt on this but it really feels like a stretch. 

You are correct. I certainly could have gone up to see if the tank was holding water.. However, the fact of the matter is, me being able to place a camera would have resulted in me finding the problem. I didn't go because of the ban so the problem wasn't discovered. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Well someone has to take the blame.

Stupid comment but hey, I'll take the blame for not checking it but if that's the way it works, NOBODY else found and repaired it either. I'll also take credit for the repairs I made in the past which resulted in hundreds of visits by animals for a drink of water. 

Hey Stanley.. delete my account please.. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

Cameras were fun and a great reason to get out in the woods even in units we weren’t hunting. It made us want to go out and check them. Without them i don’t have much of a reason to go out there without tags to scout with. 

It wasn’t just about scouting, it was just good old fashioned fun. And yes we’d fix stuff pretty often as well, the best we could.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Because a couple dudes didn’t agree with your post? That’s Charmin soft 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Stupid comment but hey, I'll take the blame for not checking it but if that's the way it works, NOBODY else found and repaired it either. I'll also take credit for the repairs I made in the past which resulted in hundreds of visits by animals for a drink of water. 

Stupid comment? 

Couple guys disagree with this guy and he wants his account deleted.  Exactly what is wrong with world.  People have become so soft it's unreal.  If you criticize anything or anyone, you are painted as the villain. Delete it Stanley

• Like 1