bowhunter-tw

Loose primer pockets

3 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I had RL19 but havent found anymore of it or else id be using that

I think I saw RL19 at Sportsman here locally. I'm heading that way later today, I'll check.

If you are exceeding book velocity and your primer pockets are loose after 2 firings, that is your sign. back off on powder. also, once pockets are loose, time to discard. JMO

Bill

• Like 2

Crap, was walking in the store a guy walking towards register with the 8lb jug of R19.

Only R7, 16, 17 and 23 left.

I’ve had 300rum cases that Winchester LR primers would almost fall out of and the same cases held Fed 215Match primers for 3-4 more firings. Might be worth a try but good luck finding 215Ms

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SHOOTER said:

I’ve had 300rum cases that Winchester LR primers would almost fall out of and the same cases held Fed 215Match primers for 3-4 more firings. Might be worth a try but good luck finding 215Ms

I’ll give that a try. These were win primers I loaded this morning. Ive got some feds to try later. Are win primers known to be undersized or at the smaller end of the allowable tolerance?

gage pin can be had online that is large enough but you will need to know what your current diameter is, ill get you a good size when i get to the shop, Ill make sure it fits through the prime tool aslo, not sure how much room is in there but fell like it has plenty.

4 hours ago, Ernesto C said:

Crap, was walking in the store a guy walking towards register with the 8lb jug of R19.

Only R7, 16, 17 and 23 left.

Rl23 is a good powder too. Hard to find and works in lots of things. 

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

gage pin can be had online that is large enough but you will need to know what your current diameter is, ill get you a good size when i get to the shop, Ill make sure it fits through the prime tool aslo, not sure how much room is in there but fell like it has plenty.

Im thinking a .215 pin might work? I can 3d print a new head to fit whatever pin I need to use

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Wouldnt RL23 be pretty close in burn rate to 7828? 

It is similar. It shows slightly faster on the chart, but very close. 

I am going to try some RL23 in a 300 win mag that I have tried 7828 in. The 7828 shot great at slower speeds, but didn't stay accurate as I wanted when I started pushing it. Every gun is different though. 

7828 also shoots lights out with my 300 weatherby at moderate pressures. 

Machinists  trick to tighten  a o/s hole is a simple  steel bearing  and a tap with a hammer . It can close a hole in some hard material  so start with  a few soft taps and work your way  up till you get what you need. 

• Like 1

Simply put the cartridge head has expanded due excessive pressure. Back the load off two grains and start over with new brass. Trying to whip a dead horse to life is a waste of time. Look for new node in .5 grain increments. I'm going to say the problem is the Hornady bullet which has a secant ogive and you have it seated a bit too close to the lands. Especially on the first firing you should always shoot a middle load to fire form brass and than try your maximum load. Going to Reloader 19 is not a good idea as it is a much faster burn rate. Buy Norma brass.

• Like 2