Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

How do you measure success?

I would have quit hunting years ago if I only measured my success by whether or not I killed something.  

• Like 4

Some hunts are ruined by killing something.  I used to be all about the kill.  As I have got older it has changed and I think I enjoy helping or watching someone else as much as hunting for myself.  That said, there is nothing like glassing up a trophy and making a great stalk or shot.  I think the most successful hunt I have ever had was a late archery bull hunt that I hunted a specific bull for 3 days and finally killed him at 15 yards.

• Like 2

I can have a satisfying hunt without killing something. I have passed on deer and elk in hopes of killing one with a bigger rack.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 6:08 PM, PRDATR said:

To me, having  a successful hunt is the result of killing the target species. After all it is a hunt. Should I not kill then I was unsuccessful. Just like a car race. You either won or you lost. Don't confuse Successful with Eventful.

Hmm , seems like you’re contradicting yourself.

• Haha 1

Successful and satisfying are two different things. You can have a satisfying enjoyable once in a lifetime can’t wait to to back hunt that was unsuccessful. 

• Like 1

I don’t know but for me “success” means different things for each hunt. When you tag out on an animal you’re happy with, of course that’s success. But I’ve also gone on “unsuccessful” hunts where no freezer was filled that I would consider a success due to the memories made with family, learning new areas in a unit, and getting to learn more about how the animals behave at different times of the day or different times of year

• Like 3