Sign in to follow this  
nateNAU

2023 Wyoming hunt

Well Wyoming provided again this year on my annual hunt with my son. Shot a pretty decent buck opening morning about 9 am. I have found a few places that hold antelope in this northeast poverty unit and have been slowly gaining knowledge as to their behavior when pressured. My son an I hiked in 4 miles before the sun rose and sat a fence line that backed private. I knew this was a popular escape route when the shooting starts. Well at about 9 am, an outfitter with a client on the private bumped a herd right across the fence in front of us. I drew two additional doe tags and as soon as I shot the buck, I turned to my son and asked if I should shoot a doe. He say heck ya so I shot a doe as well. Probably not the smartest move 4 miles from the truck but it was good to have 2 tags filled opening morning. We took some pics and I began cutting them up. I considered bringing my pack frame but just opted for my lighter badlands super day. Well I pushed that pack to the absolute max and was able to get both boned antelope and my rifle strapped on. My son had to carry every other thing we had in his pack. We arrived back at the truck right at sun down. Today was cutting and grinding meat. Snuck out this evening looking for a whitetail doe but no luck. 

PXL_20231015_213202016.jpg

PXL_20231015_160256237.jpg

PXL_20231015_194352831.jpg

• Like 19

Awesome can't wait until my mule deer and antilope hunt by Sundance next fall. Impressive packer you have there. Memories

• Like 1

That's Awesome!!!!  Success is sweet, but success while hunting next to your son is AMAZING!

Wyoming is a magical place, Congrats!!!!

• Like 2

Awesome.  You really put that boy to work didn't you. Four miles would be pretty good hike even without any weight added. I look forward to my grandsons getting big enough to take out.

• Like 1

Dude, that’s beyond cool. You have built memories/stories for your Son & Grandkids that will last longer than you! Cherish these times… 🤙🏻

• Like 1

Well today is the last day of our hunt here in Wyoming. Missed a whitetail doe a couple nights ago, and had the opportunity at a muley buck and whitetail buck on public, but we didn't have a buck tag. Spent much of the mid-day hours fishing and having fun. I always try and keep it fun with my son and not burn him out. Today after fishing, we were driving back into the ranch we stay at and saw one lone yearling doe on the property. We were able to sneak around the horse barn without her seeing us and made a 100 yard shot. 3 for 3 on antelope tags this year. 

PXL_20231020_174155705.jpg

PXL_20231020_173650083.jpg

PXL_20231018_141719181.jpg

PXL_20231018_165350017.jpg

• Like 11

On 10/16/2023 at 9:52 PM, wildwoody said:

Awesome can't wait until my mule deer and antilope hunt by Sundance next fall. Impressive packer you have there. Memories

Best of luck to you! The north east corner is so underrated! Most of the out of staters here are from the east, and complain about bad luck but never get more than half a mile from an easy access point. 

That sounds like a fantastic trip with memories that will last a lifetime! And that is a great buck! Congratulations on tagging out! Seems like you had a wonderful time

On 10/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, nateNAU said:

Best of luck to you! The north east corner is so underrated! Most of the out of staters here are from the east, and complain about bad luck but never get more than half a mile from an easy access point. 

Gonna be with sevenj outfitters. We good. Im a DYI guy but im excited. 3 cousins will be there. Im doing the pack trip there staying at the hunting lodge. Again congratulations 

• Like 2

Good times... I miss hunting with my dad.

• Like 1