Hoss50

Glass Bedding Stocks?

How hard is it, and do you have any advice or recommendations?

I was going to have a gunsmith do it, but I have probably 3-4 rifles I want to get bedded and that seems like a pretty expensive proposition to have them all bedded. So therefore I was thinking about tackling them myself, but have never done it. 

Not hard If you just bed the area around the lug it's pretty straight forward.  Find a throw away stock for one of your rifles and do a practice run. That way no pressure on the first one.  Use good release agent, be sure the action sits level in the stock, and do not create a mechanical lock between stock and action. Devcon plastisteel works good.  Lots of options for bedding compound tho.

• Like 1

Pretty easy. I've done 4 Savages that included a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum block, Boyds wood, and one higher-end Savage tupperware.

I used blue painters tape for the recoil lug and stock edges and Play-Doh to fill in everything I didn't want compound getting into but it dries out if you are doing the project beyond a days work, modeling clay is better. 

Devcon 10110 is the best compound, especially $-wise for 4 stocks.

I really liked using several layers of Hornady One Shot as a release agent. No mess or fuss.

Screenshot_20231019_081545_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a36a81d787de5d0ad8658de338eb432.jpg

I used action screws covered in red bearing grease and gently set them to 15 lbs.

Screenshot_20231019_080924_Gallery.thumb.jpg.47b90a9ccbc04a89a34fbeddb3ff5c79.jpg

Food for thought and especially if you don't have a smooth barrel nut, even a small amount of compound in a ridge of the nut (or anywhere) will lock the action to the stock. Fill any nut ridges or edges on the action not facing down with Play-Doh/clay. Triple check before you marry the action/stock and clean out any overflowing compound immediately with qtips, etc.

Screenshot_20231019_092510_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8e81a0d65ef0d624986579e7f3d23c2e.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_080729_Gallery.thumb.jpg.dbda5d86b6096814254d8a0c6afd2ab5.jpg

In addition to roughing everything up with a dremel on any stock, I drilled some shallow holes in my plastic stock project and it worked really well for me.

20210902_204437.thumb.jpg.25f44f1b0369693365a283f693bdb850.jpg

• Like 4

A good stock probably doesn't need bedding, though it is a comfort to most people to know they did everything they could to make their rifle as accurate as possible.  I hear McMillan now tells people NOT to bed their stocks ... if I recall correctly.  But if you do bed it, I'd pillar it as well.  Bedding without pillaring never made a whole lot of sense to me.