Sign in to follow this  

Was out yesterday and bumped 4 coveys in GMU 20A where last year I found none.  Majority of them looked to be birds of the year.  A friend had similar comment about greater numbers in GMU33.  Anyone else seeing more birds this year?

We shot easy limits of Gambels on opening weekend in our usual spot(s).  Predictable given the strong precipitation last winter/spring.  Like clockwork... ;) 

28 minutes ago, stanley said:

We shot easy limits of Gambels on opening weekend in our usual spot(s).  Predictable given the strong precipitation last winter/spring.  Like clockwork... ;) 

That’s impressive shooting. if they weren’t all off the ground 

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

That’s impressive shooting. if they weren’t all off the ground 

Raised running-gunning quail in the washes around Kearny.  There might have been a couple killed on the ground. ;)  

Used my departed dad's old 20 gauge Remington semi-auto with a fixed improved cylinder.  Love that little gun for the opening weekend when the quail aren't shy and the flushes are close.

• Like 2

My opening weekend birds flushed like end of season birds. Most at the end or out of range for my IC.  Coveys were large, but wild.

Saw 4-5 coveys of mearns yesterday 3 miles in on the blue -was wishing I had a shotgun then ….. 2-3 coveys of gambles along the road going in deer hunting . 

4 minutes ago, tomgobbler said:

Saw 4-5 coveys of mearns yesterday 3 miles in on the blue -was wishing I had a shotgun then ….. 2-3 coveys of gambles along the road going in deer hunting . 

Super cool to see coveys of Mearns!    Be sure not to start shooting at them until December 1st, though. ;)